Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 11:57:04 AM EDT
I'm looking into the possibility of putting a silencer on a USP, but I have a couple of questions for those of you who have done this before or who own one.

First off, is it worth the cost and hassle? Right now, I have an H&K USP Compact in 9mm right now. Has anyone here put a silencer on this model? How much was it to get an extended/threaded barrel for the Compact?

I really like my USPC though, enough I'd probably be willing to get a USP Tactical if I ever wanted to put a silencer on one.

My other question is kind of fundamental dealing with silencers on pistols in general. Is shooting a pistol with a non-fixed, tilting barrel such as a USP with a silencer cause extra wear or any problems? I don't really have any experience with silencers, but even if they don't weigh much, it would have to exert a fair amount of downward leverage on the barrel that it seems it would create a significant amount of extra stress and friction each time the slide cycles.
Or is this not an issue?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm is hard to suppress because of the general supersonic nature.  However, if you shoot subsonic ammo, it will be fine, 147 grain JHP for example.  Normally, 115 grain is supersonic, but in my experience, winchester white box is almost subsonic, probably coming in around 900+ fps.  The reason I say this is because when I ran it through the MP5 with an attached AAC can, it was pretty quiet.  If it was true supersonic, it should have been louder.

Now, generally, people suppress the .45 pistol, either the USP Tac or the SOCOM.  The Tactical and SOCOM are REVERSE in threads.  You will be better off getting a Tactical as you can also get the USPC45 and a threaded barrel and use the suppressor for both.  

Suppressors imo do not put that much more wear on the gun, esp. the USP Tactical or SOCOM.  The SOCOM is a beast and it can take a beating as can the USP Tactical in .45

All this being said, you can get a threaded 9mm USPC barrel from Jarvis or CCF.  Suppressed shooting is alot of fun, especially if you use subsonic ammo.  

M
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm looking into the possibility of putting a silencer on a USP, but I have a couple of questions for those of you who have done this before or who own one.

First off, is it worth the cost and hassle? Right now, I have an H&K USP Compact in 9mm right now. Has anyone here put a silencer on this model? How much was it to get an extended/threaded barrel for the Compact?

I really like my USPC though, enough I'd probably be willing to get a USP Tactical if I ever wanted to put a silencer on one.

My other question is kind of fundamental dealing with silencers on pistols in general. Is shooting a pistol with a non-fixed, tilting barrel such as a USP with a silencer cause extra wear or any problems? I don't really have any experience with silencers, but even if they don't weigh much, it would have to exert a fair amount of downward leverage on the barrel that it seems it would create a significant amount of extra stress and friction each time the slide cycles.
Or is this not an issue?

You will find that some models of pistol stand up better to large ammounts of shooting with a supressor than others. Glocks, I have been told, don't do as well as other models such as the USPs.

As to whether or not it is worth it, I personally don't think so. That is, of course, unless you are living in suburbia and occasionally need to dispatch a critter without everyone knowing about it. For that a supressed .22 would be great.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or is this not an issue?

You will find that some models of pistol stand up better to large ammounts of shooting with a supressor than others. Glocks, I have been told, don't do as well as other models such as the USPs.

As to whether or not it is worth it, I personally don't think so. That is, of course, unless you are living in suburbia and occasionally need to dispatch a critter without everyone knowing about it. For that a supressed .22 would be great.

Your nuts!  Cans are cool as all get out!, If nothing else, chicks really dig them1
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Silencers put no extra wear on any gun. They sometime affect the slide action due to not allowing the gasses to escape as quickly as they normally would once the bullet leaves the barrel but this doesn't happen too often, I've been told.

As for threaded barrel, there's only a couple of makers of them out there for the USP. I've seen an ad for a threaded barrel by an aftermarket maker but I can't find it right now.

Yes, they're worth it. You can shoot cats in your backyard & it's quieter than popping a paper bag.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
You might try contacting Tros at: http://www.trosusa.com/main.htm.  They do a lot of supressor work.

I've been told integral suppressor can use supersonic ammo, as the suppressor will bleed off pressure and speed.  If you have a screw on suppressor, like on a USP Tactical, there would be no speed reduction, wet or dry.  So, you'll need subsonic ammo.  I think you also need a "recoil enhancer", what ever that is.

Warning:  All this information is picked up at ARPC machine gun shoots from the vendors renting the guns.  Is it good information?  I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You might try H&K for the threaded barrel. Right now my local shop has a USP Compact 9mm with a factory threaded barrel and thread protector.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't see the point of putting a suppressor on a pistol.  Sure it makes a .45 sound like a .22, but that is hardly quiet enough to conceal the fact that you are shooting a gun.

I have shot two USP Tactical with the CCFF? cans on them and unless you use the can with some fluid (which smokes like hell) they don't do much for me.  I was going to get one until I heard theirs.

I have a 9mm AR suppressor by Scott Bell that is almost as quiet as my .22 cans with subsonic ammo, but pistol cans are so small they can't do much.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top