Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2002 1:45:09 PM EDT
I will buy a new 357 Sig soon. It will be either a Sig 226 or a HK USP. No DAO. So give me some help with this, who likes what and why?
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 1:09:43 AM EDT
I see you are a smart shopper. With the two choices you listed, you can't go wrong either way. IMHO, both are tactically equivalent, very high quality pistols. If someone asked me what are the two best semi-auto pistols on the market right now, Sig and H&K would be my answers. I know that there are very fancy and expensive race guns out there too, but IMO, there is no need for anything better than H&K and Sig. Both pistols are amazingly accurate and reliable. I do slightly prefer the feel of the Sig's grip and it's trigger. But I would be very happy and feel 100% confident with either choice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:19:51 AM EDT
Hold and shoot. Only you can determine which one feels best in YOUR hands. If you like the feel of the SiGs, be sure to check out the 226, 239, 229 and 2340 that are also available in 357SiG.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:39:39 AM EDT
I own a 229-357 and a USPC-357. I like them both. I have the Variant One HK and have the choice of three different modes of carry. Cocked and locked, hammer down safety on, and hammer down safety off. You can't wrong with either one and I thing you'll love the 357 (except for the high cost of ammo).
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:52:29 AM EDT
I've been shooting the 357SIG since the month it came out (in a P229) and I love everything about this cartridge (except reloading it). I also have a P226.

If I were to buy a new pistol, I'm thinking about a new-model (milled slide) P226 in .40, with a Bar-Sto 357SIG and 9mm barrel, just to give me a larger caliber choice. The longer P226 barrel will give higher velocities than the P229, so that really interests me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:23:53 AM EDT
The .357sig is too much cartridge for me as a defense pistol, but what shooting I have done with it has been in the H&K and the Sig 226. I love the Sig.

I guess H&K stopped making the .357sig version of the USPs, but they are out there if you want to find one.

The Sig 226 in .357sig you can apparently swap out for .40SW too with the dual barrel.

Some people say Sigs are ugly, but they sure work well.

Now if only they made a squeezecocking version like the p7...

Question, do you prefer .357sig over .40SW? Whyso?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:54:47 AM EDT
The 357SIG, with all its faults (short neck and bullet set-back), feeds like a DEMON. The quality of my P229 precludes significant feeding problems, but there is a noticeable difference when using a bottlenecked cartridge. For a defensive handgun, I put reliability at a premium, and the 357SIG feeds like a 'sumbitch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 2:15:26 PM EDT
Tatjana,
The 40 is a good all around caliber, but is known for less than stellar accuracy. I like the 357 Sig because it has a little more potential.
Link Posted: 8/24/2002 1:12:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FALCORE:
Tatjana,
The 40 is a good all around caliber, but is known for less than stellar accuracy. I like the 357 Sig because it has a little more potential.

My experience may be the exception rather than the rule, but out of all my double action semi-auto handguns, my Sig P229 in, yep, you guessed it....40 S&W, is the most accurate one I have. I have had and or fired Ruger's, Beretta's, Smith and Wesson's, Taurus's, Glock's and various other types, but I have yet to find one that is good enough to replace the Sig that rests on my hip. I credit this more to the Sig's trigger pull (smooth as a baby's butt!) than the caliber.

My local P.D. also issues the H&K USP in .40 and the officers really love it and the caliber. No complaints in the accuracy department as of yet.
Top Top