Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2012 5:13:36 AM EDT
So I sold my Glock 19 and I'm now interested in a new-manufacture DA/SA compact sized aluminum framed 9mm pistol, with no manual safety (decocker only) and no accessory rail. I've done a lot of research, and pretty much narrowed it down to the Sig Sauer P229 SAS Gen II and the CZ 75 D Compact PCR. I've shot a P229R (9mm) in the past, and I liked it enough to still be interested in it. I have not shot or handled a CZ 75, mainly because they seem to be a hard gun to find in shops (there's only one shop in the Metro-Detroit area that has a CZ 75 D Compact PCR in stock right now). However, I have heard nothing but good things about their ergonomics.

Ergonomics, shoot-ability and ease of carry are my primary concerns. Price isn't a tremendous concern, and I'm aware that the SIG costs significantly more than the CZ. The CZ seems to be lighter, however my primary concern with choosing the CZ is parts availability and holster choices. I don't want to get a gun that I can't easily outfit with accessories and/or replacement parts. I'm sort of stumped as to which one to buy, there are a couple of shops in the area that have one model or the other in their inventory and I would like to call them ASAP to put a deposit on one of the guns so I won't have to wait to have one special ordered (the CZ in particular seems to be on backorder just about everywhere I go).

What does the hive say?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a fan of decocker CZs, just get a compact 75 with a safety.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Parts, competent gunsmiths, and holsters are all accessible. Get the CZ, you'll love it.

I have a P-01 that I carry everyday. I also have two safety equipped models. I like the de cocker and safety models equally.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my PCR
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love my PCR

+1

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my PCR

+1

Really like the PCR.  I wanted one, but couldn't find them in stock or at a decent price point.

I wish the OP luck.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:10:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both the P229 and CZ75 Compact.  I prefer the Sig.  As good as the CZ is, the Sig is better.  For me, the ergonomics are better.  The trigger pull is better in both single and double action.  The Sig has a steel locking insert.  On an aluminum framed CZ the guide rod will rest on aluminum.  The Sig decocks fully, the CZ decocks to half cock.  There are plenty of sites to get Sig parts - Top Gun Supply sells them all.  These are things that just immediately come to mind.  

The CZ is an outstanding gun.  The Sig is simply more refined.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Had both, both are great. CZ feels smaller and probably is, but not enough to make a big difference. Both are very accurate. CZ's come with poop triggers, so if you go the CZ route I'd buy from a custom shop and just have the work done before you get the pistol. The CZ felt better in the hand but for whatever reason for me the feel didnt result in more accuracy.

IMO the only thing that separates the two is that the sig (229 elite) is sexier. Although a CZ with a custom trigger would probably, on paper, be a better shooter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a SIG 226 and 229 and an old CZ-75. The SIGs both have the E2 grip, and I have nice wood grips on the CZ. All are very good and extremely reliable. Accuracy is pretty much a wash. The difference for you may be the ergonomics. All are good, but the grip angle on the SIGs is slightly different than the CZ, which is closer to the 1911. Handle the ones you are interested in and try to shoot them if possible. The answer will become obvious very quickly.

I know you want a 9mm, but the SIGs do have one other point: while there are .22 conversions available for both the SIG and CZ, the SIG can also switch between 9mm and .357 SIG/.40 S&W if that is important to you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with the Sig. I have a P229;  great gun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a CZ 75 Compact and love it.  It is my CCW gun.  I've shot matches with it and I've carried it everywhere.

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Sig P229R

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
On an aluminum framed CZ the guide rod will rest on aluminum.

Correct me if I am wrong, but won't the guide rod one one end rest on the barrel under-lug [steel] and the other pass through a hole in the muzzle end of the slide [steel]? Besides, unless something has change since I bought my CZ compact [P01], the guide rod is polymer.

FWIW, I have several thousand rounds through my P01 [1st year model] and have as of yet not found a handgun with ergonomics that match it for me. I've installed Wolff springs throughout and put on VZ grips. I've never fired a SIG, honestly so cannot comment.

Try being left-handed and finding holsters for the CZs....not easy I will admit, though I find that in leather, a SIG P226 holster works fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Shoot both.

I am not selling my PCR.

Link Posted: 8/24/2012 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#14]
SIG P229R  in 40S&W  in a heart beat.

I wouldnt own a P229 R in 9mm IF it has the long extractor

If I got a CZ it would be the P01 The one with the NSN #
I like how the frame goes to the end of the slide.

BTW
I am a Sig fan
Ive been packing a Gen 1 P229 40S&W since 2005 . I bought back in 1998 it sat in my safe most of the time, after I put over 500rds through it.
I lost count of how many rounds Ive shot today. But I havent had any failures what so ever.
The slide to frame fit is outstanding.Rock Solid no play what so ever.
And for a service pistol its a tack driver. Its more accurate than I am
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but won't the guide rod one one end rest on the barrel under-lug [steel]
and the other pass through a hole in the muzzle end of the slide [steel]? Besides, unless something
has change since I bought my CZ compact [P01], the guide rod is polymer.

The guiderod rests on the barrel lug only for the purposes of assembly and disassembly.  When
you slide the slide/barrel/guide-rod/spring assembly onto the frame, the barrel lug slides through
a channel on the frame block.  When the lug passes through, the block picks up the back-end
of the guide rod.  That's were is rests until you disassemble it.  When you slide the assembly off,
the barrel lug picks up the rear of the guide rod.  It comes out like you put it in, with the guide rod
end resting on the barrel lug.  

On a steel-frame CZ, the frame block is steel.  It's aluminum on an aluminum-framed CZ.  If the
guide rod is steel, it can wear the ears on the guide-rod channel in the frame block.

(FWIW, Sigs has steel frame blocks, even in aluminum framed guns.)
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#16]
SIg 226, 229.
Why did you get rid of the G19, one of the best in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#17]
The guiderod rests on the barrel lug only for the purposes of assembly and disassembly. When
you slide the slide/barrel/guide-rod/spring assembly onto the frame, the barrel lug slides through
a channel on the frame block. When the lug passes through, the block picks up the back-end
of the guide rod. That's were is rests until you disassemble it. When you slide the assembly off,
the barrel lug picks up the rear of the guide rod. It comes out like you put it in, with the guide rod
end resting on the barrel lug.

On a steel-frame CZ, the frame block is steel. It's aluminum on an aluminum-framed CZ. If the
guide rod is steel, it can wear the ears on the guide-rod channel in the frame block.

(FWIW, Sigs has steel frame blocks, even in aluminum framed guns.)

I stand corrected. I took a look at my disassembled P01 and I feel like I ought to have realized that to be true.  In any case, the factory guide rod on the alloy-framed CZ compacts should be a polymer unit. After a few thousand rounds neither my frame nor the end of the guide rod seem to indicate any pronounced wear patterns.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Love my PCR
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 2:37:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a buddy who recently purchased a CZ. This is a guy that owns HK, SIG, and a few others. After holding the CZ I just asked why. He told me about reliability and a few other things I've heard parroted on the internet. 2 weeks later he sold the CZ.

My vote, buy the SIG, no comparison really.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top