Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 7:39:28 PM EDT
I have a like new P226 bought in 1991 ... only has a couple hundred rounds through it.  Includes the 2 factory 15 round magazines and the original yellow box with velvet lining and all the doc including the factory test fire.  I assume its a W. Germany made pistol.   I also have a Sig Hardcase and a Gray coated slide that I am guessing came off a two-tone 226 that I got off of gun-broker.

I was at the local dealer today and spotted an OD G23 NIB.  I told the dealer about my P226 and he said bring it in to what might almost be an even trade for the G23 if I want it.  

Is this a good deal?  Which truly is the better, more reliable and more accurate firearm?  Is the value of the P226 more than the $489 he is asking for the Glock?

Thanks ....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Around here, your gun would sell for about $575-$600.

You already have a very fine weapon.  Either buy your 226 a baby glock brother or just move along.

A good rule of thumb is that if a gun dealer is willing to take your used gun for a new one, you are being screwed.

A good trade with a dealer usually includes a used gun from you that the dealer thinks is easier to sell and a used gun (of same value as your gun) from the dealer that is something you have to have for whatever reason.  

my .02
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both. if I were you I would keep the sig and just buy the glock too its good for a change.
when im tired of carring my 226 I switch it off for the glock and vice versa but I would never trade my sig especially for a glock.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks ... good to hear from somebody that has both ... I guess I'll just save my pennies for the Glock and keep the Sig ...   I have a Springer Champion 1911 as well and was really just looking but I like the smaller size of the Glock since I have small hands ...  The 1911 feels great with the single stack magazine so was looking for something similar ..
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Soooo, you're wanting to trade your BMW for a Volkswagen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have both. if I were you I would keep the sig and just buy the glock too its good for a change.
when im tired of carring my 226 I switch it off for the glock and vice versa but I would never trade my sig especially for a glock.

I have both, too.  Wouldn't trade in either one?  226 is an excellent gun.  I have thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup.  My concealed carry gun is the G23.  A bit more compact and lighter.  Nice to shoot both 357sig and 40 in it.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Well .. I went to the range today and put 50 rounds through my friend's Glock 23. I was very happy with the accuracy.  I had a SW SIGMA 380 that I had bought years ago.  It sat in my trucks map pocket all these years an never even used it.  I went and traded it in today towards a down payment on an Olive Drab G23 ...  and kept the Sig ....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:41:33 AM EDT
[#7]
It has to be a sin against the gods  to trade a SIG for a glock!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It has to be a sin against the gods  to trade a SIG for a glock!!!!

Agreed.  Now an SW Sigma 380 for a Glock....no negative comments from the peanut gallery member.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
 Me, personally, I would do the trade.  I can get a used Sig226 for $400 pretty much all day long, so I see it as trading this $400 pistol for that $500 pistol.  Did you tell the dealer you had the extra slide assembly?  Granted, I haven't priced out slide assy's if you were including it in the deal, but if they're going for $100 you'd break even.  If they go for more than that, well, you can figure it out .

Whoops, failure to read some very relevant info.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well .. I went to the range today and put 50 rounds through my friend's Glock 23. I was very happy with the accuracy.  I had a SW SIGMA 380 that I had bought years ago.  It sat in my trucks map pocket all these years an never even used it.  I went and traded it in today towards a down payment on an Olive Drab G23 ...  and kept the Sig ....

You have chosen wisely.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have chosen wisely.

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure what prompted be to buy that .380 but I had no reservations getting rid of it ... unlike the Sig which I couldn't talk myself into getting rid of.  The Glock will make a nice addition to my current collection featuring a Springer 1911 and the P226 ...

I'll be picking up the Glock next payday ...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:48:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You have chosen wisely. I might bend the rule about never selling a gun, but NEVER for a SIG.

NEVER.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You have chosen wisely. I might bend the rule about never selling a gun, but NEVER for a SIG.

NEVER.

I disagree, I owned both a P226 and a Glock 23 and didn't much care for either of them.  They are both gone now, and I don't miss either one the least bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top