Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/29/2004 10:45:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 10:51:34 AM EST by SHIVAN]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:48:32 AM EST
A close friend just bought one in stainless. He has about 350 rounds through it and loves it, so far.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:51:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:55:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 10:55:39 AM EST by QuietShootr]

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
A close friend just bought one in stainless. He has about 350 rounds through it and loves it, so far.

HP or ball?

300 of Winchester ball and 50 230gr Hydra-Shoks. I gave him one of those 50-round packs to try out and he burned through them all with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:09:01 AM EST
I think you tend to find that more higher-end 1911 buyers prefer the classic design, and aren't terribly interested in the changes made to the safety and extraction. At least that's the case in my circles. The only folks I know that have them are the type that just have to have every new thing that comes out, or have an extensive 1911 collection, neither of which neurosis I even begin to understand.

Bottom line is that for the money I think alot of people are finding better options.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:10:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By norman74:
I think you tend to find that more higher-end 1911 buyers prefer the classic design, and aren't terribly interested in the changes made to the safety and extraction. At least that's the case in my circles. The only folks I know that have them are the type that just have to have every new thing that comes out, or have an extensive 1911 collection, neither of which neurosis I even begin to understand.

Bottom line is that for the money I think alot of people are finding better options.

This friend of mine LOVES SIGs, and is developing a love for 1911s...so he has been walking around with a perpetual stiffy since he first saw a pic of these things. He's happier than a pig in shit now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:11:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:

This friend of mine LOVES SIGs, and is developing a love for 1911s...so he has been walking around with a perpetual stiffy since he first saw a pic of these things. He's happier than a pig in shit now.

That would be another case I could think of, but don't know of anyone like that personally. All of the sig fanatics I know hate the damn thing because it's not a classic Sig. Of course, they hate the Sig Pro too (which is entirely understandable).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:16:33 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:27:47 AM EST
How about the Kimber Warrior, or if you have to have it right this minute, the TLE/RL? I believe the Warrior is supposed to be Series I.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:29:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:10:39 PM EST
i owned 2 GSRs. the first one i had to send back to sig b/c their " better idea " of a series 80 trigger sucked. The retainer pin would not stay tight. A month later they sent me a new one. that one would not feed defensive ammo. I was told it was a bad batch of novak mgazines. So they sent me 7 more . None of the 7 would feed ANY brand of defensive ammo. The only magazines that worked was wilson. After i spent $200 on custom tunning from a pistol smith the gun ran like a champ. VERY low recoil due to it's weight. ( 40 oz). It was nice to shoot. After i had it tunned i traded it for a glock. When you spend $1k on a gun and then have to spend another $200 to make it work right. no thanks. JMO

J
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:31:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By norman74:
How about the Kimber Warrior, or if you have to have it right this minute, the TLE/RL? I believe the Warrior is supposed to be Series I.....

I knew I forgot one.......yes TLE/RL is also being considered.....

Warrior, I saw a link to that somewhere on here.......were there pics?

Series I with external extractor?

Thread is in the Kimber forum, there are pics. It was also in American Rifleman about a month ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:01:30 PM EST
I believe the gsr is a flop..IMO...

The thing is, I have read alot of posts by fans of sigs, on another forum, which shall not be named, and alot of these folk would bash the 1911 platform, with all the typical crap...

BUT when sig says hey, here is the sig gsr 1911, all of a sudden the 1911 is the greatest pistol around, only because it has the sig name on it.

Now IIRC, when the gsr first came out, most of them, and I do mean most of them, had to be sent back, I cannot remember if I read mroe than a couple positive reports on the thing, most of the reports I read, were all negative.

By a KIMBER, and will not regret it, I dont......

Kimber AMERICAN OWNED, something that counts....

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:45:51 PM EST
oh yeah i almost forgot what the pistol smith said after he worked on my GSR. Sig claims this is gun has match grade internals. he said it was really strange there would be a $80 part next to a $.80 part. He said the hammer strut looked like chimpmunks made it with their teeth. I was really disappointed to hear how poorly the gun was put together after reading so many great articles.

J
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:48:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 4:54:43 PM EST by gotm4]
Cliffy109 has one and I'm sure he'll let you shoot it. It's pretty nice. His had to be adjusted at the factory, the feed ramp was off but I believe it's been 100% reliable since then.

I love the Storm Lake match barrel its very accurate. If and when I wear out my Springfields barrel I plan on putting one of those in it.

SIG will be producing the frame and slide in house in the future. Hopefully this will make it a better pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:54:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 2:56:56 PM EST by LRGunner]
SHIVAN - The new Kimber Warrior is a Series 1 with an internal extractor, MSRP is around $1100 IIRC.....
If you are satisfied with your Dan Wesson, you could have a Dawson light rail ($150) installed with fairly little effort, but really, who doesn't need another 1911?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:57:22 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:20:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:45:05 PM EST
Gunrags like it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:26:25 AM EST
For once Lump and I disagree.......

I reall like the overall look of the gun. The ones I have seen have also had a great finish.

But I have never even shot one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:31:55 AM EST

I have the G21. I am thinking of ditching it after 100rds. Just not my thing, I bought it KNOWING I might hate it, and while hate is FAR too strong, I simply don't like some things about it.

Just not my thing...I'll stick to the quirky double action of my H&K for that kind of thing.

When you're ready for a nice DA get a new or used SIG 220ST, then have a level 2 or level 2 competition trigger job performed by Ernest Landgon www.langdontactical.com You won't be disappointed. His DA pull is 6.5lbs and SA pull is 2.75lbs on his carry/IDPA gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:45:40 AM EST
Its still too new to call it a flop. I am disappointed they didnt have a better product out the door at first.
I think QA/QC was lacking in the launch. They may be a TQM type of company so the product should improve as time goes on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:12:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2004 9:15:20 AM EST by drobs]

Originally Posted By gotm4:

I have the G21. I am thinking of ditching it after 100rds. Just not my thing, I bought it KNOWING I might hate it, and while hate is FAR too strong, I simply don't like some things about it.

Just not my thing...I'll stick to the quirky double action of my H&K for that kind of thing.

When you're ready for a nice DA get a new or used SIG 220ST, then have a level 2 or level 2 competition trigger job performed by Ernest Landgon www.langdontactical.com You won't be disappointed. His DA pull is 6.5lbs and SA pull is 2.75lbs on his carry/IDPA gun.

I had a Sig 220, damn thing ejected every shell casing into my forehead. Trigger was ok, not a 1911 and not Glock but it was ok. Wasn't the "next best thing since sliced bread" like I'd always heard. Sold it to a friend.
I shot a used 226 9mm recently and hate to say it but I liked it.

I shot the GSR when it 1st came out at a manufacterer's shoot. I shot a nice 1 hole group with it. Don't think I'd ever buy one. Way too blocky and immagine finding a holster for it would be fun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:35:02 PM EST
I have a TLE II with original extractor. I have close to 8,000 rounds through it,(NOTE: Had to get part time job at Gun Store to support my shooting budget). Never a problem except the finish. I sent it to Bearcoat (Rocky Mtn Arms) and had it Teflon coated (I am biased for Teflon since I work for the company) and it is orgazmic!!! The trigger pull went from 4.7 to 3.6 just because of the coating. It is a cinch to clean too! I have Kimber Tacticals in full size and Commander as well and they shoot every bit as good dispite the light weight. I carry both as my concealed choice.
All are super and I have had zero problems. I bought a S&W1911 just because it was a Smith. I carried Smith on the streets many moons ago as a Fuzz. Call me crazy, but it just feels right. I had a magwell installed and I shoot it as my IDPA CDP weapon. 2004 has seen about 4000 rounds through it and all I can say bad about it is the slide is a little loose. Accurate?? Oh Yeah is it ever. Trigger was honed but note lightened. Pulls clean and crisp at 4. I have Para's, Colts, and a AutoOrdnance as well. The Smith shoots better than all of them regardless of the ammo. Ball. HP, Powerball, Wolf, S&B.
We looked at stocking a few GSR's at the store, but felt that the locals would not buy one since it was a Sig. Got to shoot one (100 rounds mixed ammo) and it was a tack driver and never failed to feed or extract.
Man I feel like I have just written a novel. TLE II RL? We cannot keep them on the shelf! If I was going to buy another (which I am) I will buy another Smith. Downside, NO rail...YET....

Great Forum! Nice People.....So Far!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:02:39 AM EST
I checked out a GSR a few weeks ago, it did not impress me. Its fit and finish was certianly no better than the Springfield Operator I also checked out. I fail to see how people compare it to a semi or full blown custom 1911's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:06:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:38:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:07:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By anon23bf:
Gunrags like it.

That should be considered the first warning that something ain't right.
Top Top