Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 10:34:20 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these?

I haven't really done my research yet but I was wondering if anyone has one

If so how do you like it?

How much should I expect to pay for one Used/New?

Any issues with it? reliability/finish related?

If no experience can someone recommend a Semi Auto 4-5" barrel in .357 with a similar shape?

No 1911's please.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a two tone one.  It's nice being able to switch between .40 S&W and .357 Sig with a drop in barrel.

No finish issues.  I don't have a rail on my 226, wish I did though.

Scour the EE and you'll come across some nice ones.  I've seen used .357 226s go for about $525 or so.  You should find a Certified pre owned for cheaper, I think.

I picked my Sig 226 from the EE NIB for $575.  

Glock also makes a .357 SIG, not sure which model #s though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have one yet, but its on my list.  

I shot one that a buddy of mine bought from CDNN, it was very nice.  Easily controllable, very accurate.  I think he paid $389 for it.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems like the .357 Sig is going to be another one of those great rounds that never caught on. Flat shooting, low recoil, high energy, but so far has not made any type of impact on the buying public.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Air Marshalls, Texas DPS, DHS all use .357Sig.  It's caught on.  The fact that you can convert any .40cal gun to .357 with no more than a barrel swap is a good thing for the cartridges marketability.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If no experience can someone recommend a Semi Auto 4-5" barrel in .357 with a similar shape?

You can't go wrong with a Sig.  Period.
Last month I took a CCW course and borrowed the instructor's P229 in .357 (I have a P228 in 9mm and wanted to compare).  It has a little more recoil/report than the P228 but was still very controllable.  Both are a little more compact than the P226.   There's some CPO P226's for sale in the EE for $475.  $550 with both the .40 and .357 barrels, which I think's a good price.  
The Glock 31 (same size as a P226), 32 (about the same as a P228/9) and 33 (compact model) are all in .357.  I purchased a Glock 27 (.40 S&W) for carry and it's a great gun.  The barrel axis of Glocks are closer to the hand than a Sig so they supposedly are easier to control.  Magazines are about half the cost of Sig magazines.  
Takedown and maintaince of both Glocks and Sigs is simple and straightforward.  These guns were made to be used and abused.
Standard Pistol Buying Advice:  Go to a range that rents pistols and try 'em out.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah the glock was my other candidate..

I'm a huge fan of the 357..

I shot a .357 revolver and it was the hight of the day... I couldn't hit squat with the 44 colt, or my buddys 380 auto compact but that 357 was spot on every shot.

probably had more to do with me being a new shooter but the mix of recoil, report, and grin factor were just right..

interchangability between .40 and 357 means I can make the step up or down without buying a new gun....

I didn't know the Sigs came in two tone..

Do they do stainless uppers with black lowers?

That's the dream scheme I want...

longer barrel
full palm grip
brushed Stainless and black two tone

I don't plan to get my CCW... just shootin at the range and nightstand duty.

I say red dotgrips for a few guns.... do they make them for the P226?

Thanks guys..
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I shot a .357 revolver and it was the hight of the day... I couldn't hit squat with the 44 colt, or my buddys 380 auto compact but that 357 was spot on every shot.

probably had more to do with me being a new shooter but the mix of recoil, report, and grin factor were just right..  

I have yet to see a Revolver in .357 Sig... Are you talking about .357 MAGNUM?  Quite a bit of difference between .357 SIG and .357 Magnum.

interchangability between .40 and 357 means I can make the step up or down without buying a new gun....

Sig is now making a FULL Stainless Steel 226, which is the way I would go personally (love stainless guns )  but the gun I have is a Stainless slide, Barrel and components with a blued allow frame.  Pretty good balance.  My 220ST is full Stainless and is quite a bit heavier, but the 226 is just as well balanced.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have yet to see a Revolver in .357 Sig... Are you talking about .357 MAGNUM?  Quite a bit of difference between .357 SIG and .357 Magnum.

Sig is now making a FULL Stainless Steel 226, which is the way I would go personally (love stainless guns )  but the gun I have is a Stainless slide, Barrel and components with a blued allow frame.  Pretty good balance.  My 220ST is full Stainless and is quite a bit heavier, but the 226 is just as well balanced.

I hope to pick up my very own 226ST next week in .40S&W with a .357Sig barrel to match my 220ST.

If you are shopping for a Sig or Glock, hit up James at Ordnance Outsellers
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Oh i didn't realise 357 sig and magnum were different... It was definately Magnum then.

Whats the difference? More or less powder with the same slug?

I'm going to guess less which isn't a bad thing seeing as this is my first handgun... a little less kick will help me get and stay on paper.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ah ha....

Looks like according to wikipedia sig357

The 357 sig is a 9mm round crimped into a .40 S&W casing with a .40's dose of powder.

Sounds like less kick than a .40, stopping power somewhere between a 9mm and a .40 with upgradability to actually shoot a .40 with a barrel change when I get better at shooting.

I'll have to compare the pricing between a 9mm and a .357.

and then between the Glock and the Sig to see which I like best of each...

Admitedly I've only had the chance to shoot a 380 auto, a 357 mag, a Colt 44 mag?, and a .32 special.

From what my buddy told me the 380 is pretty close to a 9mm but smaller and the three revolvers are all bigger than you'll usually find in an auto either by powder load or bullet size.

Guess I need to go out and shoot a sig 357, a .40 and a plain jane 9mm to get the final verdict.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oh i didn't realise 357 sig and magnum were different... It was definately Magnum then.

Whats the difference? More or less powder with the same slug?

I'm going to guess less which isn't a bad thing seeing as this is my first handgun... a little less kick will help me get and stay on paper.

-------------------------------------------------------

Ah ha....

Looks like according to wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG

The 357 sig is a 9mm round crimped into a .40 S&W casing with a .40's dose of powder.

Sounds like less kick than a .40, stopping power somewhere between a 9mm and a .40 with upgradability to actually shoot a .40 with a barrel change when I get better at shooting.

and then between the Glock and the Sig to see which I like best of each...

Admitedly I've only had the chance to shoot a 380 auto, a 357 mag, a Colt 44 mag?, and a .32 special.

From what my buddy told me the 380 is pretty close to a 9mm but smaller and the three revolvers are all bigger than you'll usually find in an auto either by powder load or bullet size.

Guess I need to go out and shoot a sig 357, a .40 and a plain jane 9mm to get the final verdict.

Yes I'm glad we caught this before you went and bought a 226 thinking it was something else.

The 226 does come in three flavors:  .40S&W, .357SIG, and 9MM Parabellum.

.357 is close to a .40 in the way that it shoots, so if you can't find a .357sig to shoot, the .40 will give a somewhat good idea in terms of the way it shoots.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Also take into account the cost of feeding.  9mm ball ammo is dirt cheap and the +P loads are nothing to laugh at in the power department.  
.40 S&W is a little more expensive.  There's a number of bullet weights and loads to choose from.  You can get heavy or light bullets and choose low or stiff recoil.  
.357 (sig or auto) is less popular, more expensive and there's not a lot of variety to the loads.  It was designed by Sig to replicate the performance of the legendary 125 grain .357 revolver load, so that's pretty much it for that caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top