Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 11:15:28 PM EDT
The only info I found on here about the Sig 1911's is that they are problem prone.   I love my Sig and am now starting to see the light with 1911's.  I figured, "How can I go wrong...A Sig 1911."  

So what's the deal with them?  Anyone on here own one?  I'd appreciate any firsthand feedback on these 1911's (not "i know a guy that knows a guy that owns one.")  Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:46:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, from my personal experience, I can tell you mine had problems right out of the box. Couldn't even fire a shot.

The problem was the lever in the frame that depresses the plunger in the slide for the firing pin safety wasn't pushing far enough, therefore not disengaging the firing pin safety. Sent it back to Sig for repair. When I got it back and was able to actually fire some rounds, I had numerous FTF's. Lucky if I could get through a full mag without having at least one FTF. Sent back to Sig again. Had the feed ramps polished. Now it runs pretty good.

The thing is, why wasn't the gun checked over the first time I sent it back? Sig paid for the shipping both ways, both times, which is good because it probably cost over 250 some dollars, but it's pretty frustrating to have a new pistol and have all these problems.

My choice was between a Springfield Loaded or the Sig GSR Revolution. I definitely made the wrong choice. Prior to buying I did quite some research and came to the conclusion that the problematic Sigs were the original ones made with Caspian slides and frames. Supposedly the newer "Revolution" models were trouble free. Well, my experience pretty much proves that wrong. I don't know how they are doing now, but I would never buy another one, not even for $500. Seems like they are very hit and miss. The good ones being really good, but there is a good possibility that you may end up with a bad one.

I can say that if you do end up with a good one, I think you'll be very pleased, but are you willing to take that chance?      
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
hey, it seems to be just luck of the draw these days.  i have owned over a dozen different 1911 style pistols over the years.  only one was perfectly reliable from day one, the GSR.  who would have thunk it.  i know it is not a "1911" thing, it is a sad testament to the QC of some of the big 1911 producers.  they are more concerned with getting them out the door than making sure things are right.  this is why i am very picky with whom i spend my gun funds, customer service is very important to me.  i am somewhat of a S&W fanboy because of the great customer service i have received.  if their 1911 didn't have that dumbass Shwartz? safety,  that would be my choice.  YMMV.

TPS
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Overall, I like the gun.  I DON'T like Sig, and I won't buy another Sig product.....since you asked, I'll give you my experience and recommendation.

I've got a GSR (s/n 8700).  The extractor had rough flashing on all edges, breech face was rough, and mag springs were weak.  All these things combined means that it couldn't get through a mag without choking.

(strike 1)

I called Sig and spoke to a gentleman named Jonathan......I didn't know that the only person there who understands the concept of customer service is Victoria.  Jonathan flat out refused to honor the warranty on my pistol.

(strike 2)

I called Sig again and asked to speak to someone other than Jonathan.  I was told that my information was already in the computer and that there was nothing that Sig would do.  I was hung up on.

(strike 3)

**I was not rude, angry, or unprofessional when I called.  I know that you catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar....Sig's customer service just sucks if you talk to the wrong person.

I wound up fixing the pistol myself.  A little fluff/buff on the extractor and replaced most of the springs.  It runs like a sewing machine now, and it's one of my primary CCW pistols.  In the 5000 rds I've fired since the initial problems, I haven't had any problems at all.  (I did replace the extractor--the new design is much beefier than the original.  My original extractor didn't break--I just wanted to ensure a critical part wouldn't leave me high and dry when I needed it.)

The pistol is VERY accurate--every bit as good as my Les Baer.

Good holsters are hard to find because of the different slide dimensions.  Expect a longer wait because you'll probably have to get one special ordered.

If this is your first 1911, look at a Springfield instead.  If you know your way around a 1911 and can do some basic troubleshooting/'smithing yourself, or you're willing to deal with an inconsistent warranty department, then a Sig may be fine for you.  I know from experience that they can be fantastic guns--but I also know that they have had more than their fair share of problems and that they are hit/miss with correcting them.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info fellas.  This is enough to steer me away from them.  

Colt45-I can't believe they wouldn't honor your warranty.  Thanks for sharing that story.  I definitely would not like to go down that road.  

This will be my first 1911 and I think it will be a Springfield.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top