Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 8:25:35 AM EDT
I just got my brand new sig p226 and i was loading some snap caps into it and i noticed that it seems they are kinda hard to push in... my question is should i lube the magazine some, if so what kind of lube should i use, sig says to use a non penetrating oil in a magazine as to not contaminate your ammo, but every oil i look at says "with excellent penetration". Is it ok for you to just use a really light amount of lube in it and make sure that you wipe it down really good or should i just not lube it and just keep them clean and just deal with it being a stiff loading.

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Oil is great at attracting dirt, and I don't like putting dirt in my magazines.

Its normal for new magazines to have very stiff springs.  What you need to do is get to the range and send some rounds down range.  Your springs will break in nicely after you get 500 rounds through them .

It is very important to clean your mags though- dirt will build up in there with use.  Get a brush of some kind and make sure you clean them- but it isn't necessary and really not a good idea to use oil.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
No!

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Oil is great at attracting dirt, and I don't like putting dirt in my magazines.

Its normal for new magazines to have very stiff springs.  What you need to do is get to the range and send some rounds down range.  Your springs will break in nicely after you get 500 rounds through them .

It is very important to clean your mags though- dirt will build up in there with use.  Get a brush of some kind and make sure you clean them- but it isn't necessary and really not a good idea to use oil.

+1

Very well said, sir.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#4]
GET A MAG LOADER!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I only apply oil to magazine springs.  The body should be dry.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
thank you so much, gun manuals are never clear on how to clean/lube stuff...will run a cleaning patch through them after i go to the range :-)
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]
NO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I put a light coat on anything that will rust…
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
no.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I only apply oil to magazine springs.  The body should be dry.

This.

IF I had steel magazine tubes, I might consider light lubrication (meaning a simple wipedown) after cleaning, but there would be no excess lubrication.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in the YES camp.

Albeit, a very LIGHT layer of very light oil.  And wipe it off very well.  

It is correct that oil collects and stores dirt, grime, and particles.  This is why most mags come apart readily.  

My mag-oil of choice is simple 3-in-1 from any hardware store.  Make sure you use a lint-free, yet absorbant rag to wipe it off.  (Lint will screw-up a mag much faster than any dirt. )   Old underoos work the best.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I spray remoil in my mags when dirty then run some shop towels through it and let dry for a day or so before reassembly.

The remoil will mostly dry and leave a teflon coating inside.

Never had any problems with misfeeds or damaged ammo.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#13]
No lube on the mag.  Keep it clean and dry.  If you have rust, use some oil to get the rust off then wipe DRY.

The oil will attract a shitload of dirt.  This is less of a factor in a pistol than a rifle as the mags are protected more, but overall keep them dry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top