Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:53:44 AM EDT
I have a new in box G30 I bought with intent on useing it as my primary CCW. Well I never did. Within a week of buying it I also bought a G26 and have been useing it every since. Now, i've been drooling over the G34's and have been considering tradeing off/selling off my G30 to get a 34. It would be much cheaper to shoot, and I wouldnt have to keep seeing my G30 sitting in the safe.

Whats your opinion?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would.  Because then you would have a fullsize and a compact in the same caliber.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Ooohhh....G34.  Awesome pistol.  I love mine.  I would get rid of the G30 for the G34 and not look back.  You can't go wrong with Glock 9s.  In fact, I got rid of all of my other handguns and calibers and shoot exclusively a G17, G19 and G34.  Although after shooting my dad's G35 in a couple of competitions, I have a hankering for one in a 40S&W.  But that's another story.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same issue.   My G30 set in the safe for almost 5 years and in that time I ran ~400 rounds through it.   I just sold it on EE to get a G21.   Since i was not going to carry the G30 i figured I would rather have a full size 45.    

I have a G34 and I will say that if I could only own 1 glock that would be it.    I love my G34 and would recomend that model to anyone.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
9mm fan here too.  Bought/sold/traded a lot of Glocks and have kept the G-19, G-34, G-17L ( and an OD G-21).  I seem to shoot them the best (and cheapest too).  
scottMO
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
From my experience, most of us only need 1 or 2 carry guns.

The rest become toys, and some become safe queens.  If you aren't gonna shoot it, trade it or sell it for something you'd like.  I am still on my quest on experimenting.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My G30 is the only one of my Glocks (8 currently ) that I do not shoot well.  (Problem with my hand size/fit, I'm sure.)  

I have wondered the same thing - get rid of it or keep it & try harder/longer?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I too got rid of my G30, all I have left now are (2)G19's,G23,G27,G32 AND G35, the G30 was just too chunky for my liking!

teamroper
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow what a bunch of women! The G30 is a great gun and fits perfectly in my hands. I only own one 9mm and it would be the first to go if I sold something.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wow what a bunch of women! The G30 is a great gun and fits perfectly in my hands. I only own one 9mm and it would be the first to go if I sold something.

WOW What an ignorant statement. I will forgive you however since you are "new". The 9mm slug with todays technology is on par with a .45, advancements in ammunition technology are amazing.

Not to mention, not all of us have a money tree in the backyard. We must resort to Wal-mart 100rd value packs for $11.38 compared to $19.98 for the same number of rounds. More ammo means more practice which inturn means better shot placement...makes sense to me.

I'm glad the G30 fits you well but if it fit everyone well there wouldnt be glove sizes S-XXL.

I have personally narrowed my gun selection down to the following, the reason is purely based on the fact that I can PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

G19
G34
G26
Kahr PM9
Sig 228

All 9mm and one .45 1911

P.S. Sell the "block"(G30) and get a better glock.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW What an ignorant statement. I will forgive you however since you are "new". The 9mm slug with todays technology is on par with a .45, advancements in ammunition technology are amazing.

Not to mention, not all of us have a money tree in the backyard. We must resort to Wal-mart 100rd value packs for $11.38 compared to $19.98 for the same number of rounds. More ammo means more practice which inturn means better shot placement...makes sense to me.

I'm glad the G30 fits you well but if it fit everyone well there wouldnt be glove sizes S-XXL.

I have personally narrowed my gun selection down to the following, the reason is purely based on the fact that I can PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

G19
G34
G26
Kahr PM9
Sig 228

All 9mm and one .45 1911

P.S. Sell the "block"(G30) and get a better glock.

First off the "women" comment was a JOKE.

Secondly I am not a fan of 9mm for personal defense. It's not worth getting into it, because there is no right anwser. But my opinion is carry the biggest, most comfortable caliber that YOU WILL HAVE WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES. It’s pointless to say that the 44 mag is the best CCW if it’s impractical for you to conceal. If you can’t hide it well, then you can’t carry it.  If you can’t carry it, then what is the point?  It’s better to have any gun in a defensive situation then no gun at all.

The only time I would want a 9mm would be to disable someone in a car or truck. But in that case I would rather just carry my 10mm. Bottom line is .45acp 230g @ 800 fps will consistantly cause the most damage in liveing tissue. Period.

Anytime I WOULD want a 9mm, I would rather have a 10mm or the new toy .41 Magnum.

Just my opinion and its works for me. I'm sure all you guys carrying 9mm handle them just fine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I respect your opinion but I myself rely on physical evidence.

The truth is, we really have no idea which round is better, human anatomy is nothing like anything people may use to "test" their bullets in. An example would be a Pig which has tissue and bone density very different from our own.

Therefore, I look at the FACTS.

-FACT-you can carry more 9mm then .45, better chance of hitting your target multiple times
-FACT-recoil is less with 9mm than .45 leading to quicker follow-up shots
-FACT-no two bullets react the same when penetrating human flesh
-FACT-most civilians DO NOT wear kevlar bodyarmor
-FACT-shot placement is EVERYTHING

I would rather have 5 more rounds of ammunition in my magazine instead of fractions of an inch diameter on a bullet.

I would put a 147gr. 9mm up against a 230gr. .45 anyday.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I respect your opinion but I myself rely on physical evidence.

The truth is, we really have no idea which round is better, human anatomy is nothing like anything people may use to "test" their bullets in. An example would be a Pig which has tissue and bone density very different from our own.

Therefore, I look at the FACTS.

-FACT-you can carry more 9mm then .45, better chance of hitting your target multiple times
Quality not quanity
-FACT-recoil is less with 9mm than .45 leading to quicker follow-up shots
Recoil? You can do just as quick follow up shots with a 1911 than with any 9mm glock
-FACT-no two bullets react the same when penetrating human flesh
True, but a SLOWER and BIG bullet will do more damage than a smaller faster one (short range).
-FACT-most civilians DO NOT wear kevlar bodyarmor
How is this an issue? Good kevlar will stop both 9mm and .45
-FACT-shot placement is EVERYTHING
100% agreed
I would rather have 5 more rounds of ammunition in my magazine instead of fractions of an inch diameter on a bullet.

I'm in the state of California and 10 is 10 here. So 10 if .45 is the way to go!

I would put a 147gr. 9mm up against a 230gr. .45 anyday.

Wow I completely disagree and I carry 147gr 9mm in my P99 and 230gr. .45 in my glock/usp/1911s. All SXT and .45 is a clear winner.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top