Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:06:35 PM EDT
Good evening,

I have a Sig 228, this is my father's gun but will eventually be mine. The only thing I dont like about this handgun is the finish. While carrying it in the field my perspiration caused the slide to begin to rust almost instantly. I quickly wiped the slide down with some CLP when I got home and now all is well.

I was looking at Sig's website and noticed they offer an alternate finish called NITRON.

Here are my questions=

-How is this finish in comparison to the standard finish?
-Is it worth spending $120+$25 return shipping + my shipping for this service?
-If it is worth it can I send JUST the slide?
-Will they ship the slide/gun back to me or does it have to go through an FFL?

THANKS!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:16:03 PM EDT
I hear Nitron is a good finish, but if I ever have send one of to be redone, I'll just have it NP3'd. I have yet to hear a single bad thing about it. Durable as they get, from my understanding.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:35:05 PM EDT
SIG's Nitron is a good, durable finish. But a step above that IMO is hard chrome. It takes a lot more for hard chrome to wear than Nitron in my experience.

Tripp Research will hard chrome the slide and Kobra coat the frame for a nice two-tone finish.

APW Cogan will hard chrome the slide and also hard chrome the frame over a nickel base. He did my P239 carry piece last year and it looks fantastic! I believe he also does a black chrome. It's not quite as durable as hard chrome, but it has more of a "stealth" look for concealment.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:40:12 PM EDT
thanks for the tips so far.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:01:58 AM EDT
Regardless of what you decide to have done, you can ship your gun directly for the work and they can ship it directly back to you. You do *not* have to go through an FFL for shipping unless you are *transferring* ownership of the gun to someone else; if you're *not* transferring ownership, only having work done and then getting it right back, you can ship it directly to the factory or a custom shop who in turn can ship it *directly* back to you upon completion of the work.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:17:53 AM EDT
+1 on hard chrome. the first thing I thought of....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:51:17 AM EDT
tag
Top Top