Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2002 8:34:06 PM EDT
Another dopey question from Zougou.

I did a search and looked at FAQs but didn't see this.

Are the magazines on a 220 (220st in my case) supposed to drop free when the release button is pushed?

On my 220st, the magazine pops out several millimeters and I must slide it out.  It's not a tight fit, but it doesn't spill onto the floor, either.  I could see this as a double-edged sword (i.e., good in that you don't damage it, bad if you need to reload in a hurry).

Speaking of swords, do you own any, Sig_230?
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine drop free from my std P220.  They drop free from all my Sigs.  The only one that didn't was a Browning import BDA (P220 with heel release) which obviously took two hands to deal with.  I kept trying to hit the non-existant mag release button, so I sold it pretty quick.  I figured it'd kill me if I had to use it for real.  

It will probably just wear in to the point of dropping free.  Possibly a bump pad on the bottom would add enough weight to drop it.  I would just keep practicing with it, and sooner or later it will work the way you want it.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to www.sigarms.com, then went to their "downloads" on page 8 of 11 of the preventive maintenance it says:

"The magazine should fall free from the pistol of its own weight
when the magazine catch is depressed.  This verifies the correct
relationship of the magazine, magazine catch and frame of the pistol."

Here is a link to the guide:
http://www.sigarms.com/academy/resources/index.shtml

qwk
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Huh.  Mine do have the bumper pad.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:02:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All factory Sig mags should drop free, I have noticed that  on the occasional time one didnt it was because it was when there were still rounds present and the next round up was out of position (slightly forward) in the mag, causing drag in the mag well.

Non factory mags (non Mecgar) there is no guarantee

These came with the gun, which I presume was new (the store sold it to me as new).  They are stainless (I think) and say P220-1 and Made in Italy.  They hold 8 rounds.  I've tried ejecting them when I was out of rounds (empty).

I tried calling Sig's QC number and haven't heard back -- life has kept me so busy I had forgotten that they were going to supposedly call.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 3:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All factory Sig mags should drop free, I have noticed that  on the occasional time one didnt it was because it was when there were still rounds present and the next round up was out of position (slightly forward) in the mag, causing drag in the mag well.

Non factory mags (non Mecgar) there is no guarantee

These came with the gun, which I presume was new (the store sold it to me as new).  They are stainless (I think) and say P220-1 and Made in Italy.  They hold 8 rounds.  I've tried ejecting them when I was out of rounds (empty).

I tried calling Sig's QC number and haven't heard back -- life has kept me so busy I had forgotten that they were going to supposedly call.

The markings sound like real SiG mags. Look at the seam on the back and it should be a zigzag seam. A couple people have had some problems with the 8 rounders (7 rounds are standard). Some things to check. If the grip screws are overly long or overtightened, they can hit the mags. Also, if the mags have a burr at the lib they can hang.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!

The magazines are silver and, as far as I can tell, seamless.  I dont' see a zigzag unless it's so fine I'm not seeing it.

I'm not sure I'm ready to take the grips off.  Looking inside, I almost think I can see some flash from the rubber grip protruding into the space where the magazine goes.

I suspect I'll just have to make a long distance call and ask them.  I don't think the store will do anything for me.

How is Sig America's customer service?

Edited to add that I took the grips off and they did have their washers and there was nothing protruding into the magazine area.  What I thought was flash was the end of the spring on the right side.  I tried calling Sig, but they are closed today.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I called Sig today and the 220st magazines are supposed to drop free.  The guy sounded stumped.  He suggested that the magazine catch had a burr or something and that was stopping the magazine from dropping free.  He offered to have me send it in.  Or I can wait and wear down the catch by inserting and removing magazines.

I would have thought that such a spendy gun wouldn't have burrs.  I'm leary of sending it through the mail or UPS or whatever and not getting 'lost'.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Those are SIG magazines.  The new ones are by MecGar, and don't zigzag.  I have 5 of them just like you describe.

Don't be shy of sending your pistol into SIGArms.  They have great customer service, and being your pistol is new ask for them to give you an action job, too, and they'll do yours for free, usually $60.00 I think.  They will really smooth up your double action, for you, and fix the magazine problem.  Make sure you call and get an RMA first, as they recently switched policies regarding accepting non-rma work, for security reasons.

You won't be sorry you sent it in, I promise

(P226/6/0/8/0/and 9)
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
OK -- thanks for the advice.  I will do this, then.  The guy I spoke with on the phone was nice.

Quoted:
They have great customer service, and being your pistol is new ask for them to give you an action job, too, and they'll do yours for free, usually $60.00 I think.

Must...resist....making.....double....entendre....joke.....

Wow, they'd do that for me?  Is that legal?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:03:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Before you send it off, take the grips and screws off, then try ejecting the magazines.Then try the factory plastic grips, without screws, then put in one screw at a time...process of elimination. I have had rubber grips that gave my fits and overly long screws due to tightening.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi, Gene.

I did take the grips off and it didn't make any difference.  I've ruled out the grips and the screws.

So maybe there is something with the catch.

It sorta galls me that an $800 gun would have some defect.  OTOH, cars, which cost tens of thousands of dollars, can have issues new from the factory, so....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top