Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2019 5:03:45 PM EDT
Whenever you have a pistol with a barrel that accepts a suppressor. But you don't own a suppressor yet, or you decided not to use it. Do you keep the thread protector on? Or do you take it off? Does it effect accuracy if it walks itself loose?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I take it off as they tend to walk off if you don't.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a suppressor in jail that I purchased last August.

In anticipation of someday being able to use the suppressor, I purchased an FN 509T and I also purchased a threaded barrel for my 1911.

The thread protector that came with the FN has an O ring inside it that keeps it from backing off.

The thread protector that came with the 1911 barrel loosens immediately.

I have tried a wrap or two of teflon tape and that kept it from backing off.

Before that I just kept checking it after each mag.

Haven't been shooting either much, saving ammo for when I can shoot them suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I just remembered about my latest remedy for the 1911.

I put a couple drops of thread locker on the thread protector and let it cure for several days and then screwed it on.

That was close to a month ago and I just went to see how it was working.

Had a heck of a time getting unscrewed.

Put several wraps of electrical tape on it to protect it and put it in the vise.

Took a fair bit of force to get it started but it did unscrew.

I threaded it on and off a couple times and it is pretty stiff, I think that will keep it from coming loose for now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Take your threaded barrel to a hardware store and find a rubber o ring that is a snug fit.  Position it at the shoulder behind the threads and screw the protector up against it.  You may need to replace it from time to time if you are constantly taking the protector off and putting it back on.  I'm still on my first after 2 years of shooting on my g17 and it works great.  I dont take it off very often though.

O rings are cheap.  Get a bunch.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
The right size O-rings are working fine on my Pre CZ85 and Urban Gray P01.  No issues with the thread protectors coming loose.

They make different OD O-rings.  Not the diameter of the o-ring from one side to the other, but the OD of the material itself.

If you get one that is the right size (not just barrel fit but also the right diameter of material) the thread protector will sort of screw over top of o-ring and hide it.  I think that makes it less likely for the o-ring to be pushed back towards the slide and loose it's "grip" on the thread protector.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I just tighten the hell out of the protector before I start shooting. I’ve never lost one and I shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
the thread protector is there to protect the threads when nothing is threaded on. without a protector on and you happen to ding it on an object, there is a chance the whole barrel gets ruined because nothing can be threaded on.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m no operator, but my experience with my USP 45T is, as others have said, put a high temp o-ring on and screw the protector on. I check it each time I clean after shooting. Buy a 10 pack of them and you’ll be set.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I take it off as they tend to walk off if you don't.
View Quote
Just use a silicon o-ring so it will never move.

Technology exists, use it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Put the thread protector in a vise and deform it oval EVER SO SLIGHTLY until it has some spring tension screwing it on/off by hand. I'm talking about .005" or so eccentricity - you won't even notice it by just looking. If you manage to bend it too much and its too hard to screw on, just rotate it 90 degrees and make it more round again in the vise.

EASY.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Some of mine have o rings on the barrel if I don't suppress them very often, those thread protectors stay on. I don't go out of my way to keep a thread protector on the barrel. That steel is hard and those threads aren't easily damaged, so I don't sweat it.

Before I had a can I was real particular about having an O ring and thread protector on all of them. Post suppressor I just tend to take off the O rings and maybe screw the T.P. back on when I'm done for the day or maybe not. Some of those barrels can be a pain in the dick to get o rings off of at the moment I wanna suppress.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I leave em on. Doesn't affect accuracy. Also use an O ring to make sure they don't go anywhere.

buy once cry once.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L3OCPCC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 6/3/2019 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#13]
M&P9 2.0 user here. I've noticed that when I shoot 124gr Blazer Brass (and only this load for some reason) with the thread protector on, it strips the jackets off the bullets and my targets get peppered with little copper flechettes. Doesn't happen with Fiocchi, American Eagle, Gold Dot or HST. Weird. I remove mine just to be in the "safe" side if I shoot unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I hardly ever have them on.

Just something to lose at the range.

If I’m shooting a thread pistol, it’s usually gonna have a can on it anyway
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm no operator, but my experience with my USP 45T is, as others have said, put a high temp o-ring on and screw the protector on. I check it each time I clean after shooting. Buy a 10 pack of them and you'll be set.
View Quote
What material o-ring is made for high temps? Or will "high temperature" be on the label?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd leave it on.  It's there for a reason.

O-rings work.  I've messed around with the ones from the hardware store I fitted and never had heat issues,  but so far l really like the ones I found from Blacklist Industries instead.  They're purpose made and fit better, but there are probably hardware store options I never found that could be cheaper than having these shipped.   But 5 pack and still on the first one so not worried about a couple extra bucks for better fitment.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Whenever you have a pistol with a barrel that accepts a suppressor. But you don't own a suppressor yet, or you decided not to use it. Do you keep the thread protector on? Or do you take it off? Does it effect accuracy if it walks itself loose?
View Quote
Metal ones?  Add some Loctite to hold them. Use a high temp version.
A heat gun will destroy it when needed in short order.

You could try the o-ring trick to keep it in place, but the heat from the muzzle flash is not all that good for o-rings.
If the ring hardens up it will no longer lock things together.

Plastic?  Remove them and replace then when you are done.
Check muzzle temp before replacing.

Unless your powder is something uber filthy it should not leave much on the threads.
Give them a wipe when cleaning things.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What material o-ring is made for high temps? Or will "high temperature" be on the label?
View Quote
The ones I use come from the local aircraft repair shop.  Here they are at McMaster-Carr: High Temp O-rings . Third "category" down

ETA: My knowledge of such stuff is limited, but it looks like regular rings are rated to 250F or so.  High temp is 450F.  They're silicone.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting.

I just bought an almost new USP Compact, and it has a threaded barrel installed. I'll be using the gun for concealed carry, and was wondering if the extra smidgen of barrel would enhance velocity? Or should I just change out the barrel with a non threaded version?
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#20]
In all my years of shooting handguns with threaded barrels, I’ve only ever lost one thread protector on a USP40 Tactical. I was shooting suppressed and I suspect I didn’t tighten the protector when I put it back on after taking the suppressor off.  Off it went into the grass, never to be seen again.

I like the ones that include an o-ring from the factory, but it also isn’t hard to put one on yourself.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I use a Silencerco thread protector that comes with the O-ring inside of it. Works great and looks good. The O-ring also appears to look heat resistant or of a more durable material. That said, I take mine off before shooting when shooting unsuppressed. No reason to wear it out faster when just shooting recreationally.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The ones I use come from the local aircraft repair shop.  Here they are at McMaster-Carr: High Temp O-rings . Third "category" down

ETA: My knowledge of such stuff is limited, but it looks like regular rings are rated to 250F or so.  High temp is 450F.  They're silicone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Powder gasses are multiple thousands of degrees F.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
And the o-ring is 8mm+ behind the muzzle, and exposed to gas at a fraction of that temperature for milliseconds, if at all. The heat resistance is for the barrel temperature.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
So? The o-ring is neither at the muzzle nor is it inside the barrel.

The barrel itself certainly isn't getting that hot.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes. Take the thread protector off and thread on the suppressor.

If you don't have a suppressor. Do the o ring thing.

A griffin micro comp is nice too. It's back bored and fits over the o ring well and stays put.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#26]
If I'm shooting without my cans I generally just hand tighten. I'm going to try the O rings though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:32:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Any o ring is fine.  Standard black ones are used on hydraulic fittings everywhere without fail.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#28]
I don’t take the thread protector off on my M&P 2.0 45 barrel but for some strange reason it never comes loose while shooting either ? Go figure
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#29]
It really doesn't matter. Thread protectors are good if you bang the end of the barrel on things. As it protects the threads from deforming. But if you don't bang your gun around, then you can leave it off. I usually end up losing them eventually, haha. Never damaged the threads on my guns, but I take good care of my stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top