Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 4:13:14 AM EDT
I've had a Colt .22 conversion floating chamber setup with a couple of the Colt mags for the government 1911 for years and just decided to try it on one of those inexpensive gov. model pistols. I know that the floating chamber gets cruded up after a while but I clean it after each use. Does this setup have any real value or should I just have fun and go shooting with it and not worry about it? I don't have the original box but I do still have the instuctions that came with it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
They sure are fun to shoot.  The Colt conversion unit has value, but I doubt you will ever wear it out.  Also parts can still be found for them.  I have several extra firing pins & spring sets for mine.   If I owned it,  I would shoot it and enjoy it.  Thats the same way I feel about my Colt Ace's.  If it were NIB I would think twice about shooting it, if you were wanting to keep it as a collectors item. Just my humble opinion, ALLONS11
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to keep the floating chamber fouling to a minimum, watch the spring rate carefully. What happens if there is too light a recoil spring installed is that the slide starts its rearward travel while the in the process of firing. Then as the bullet exits the floating chamber the gases and lead end up being deposited in the recess of the barrel causing the gun not to fire due to being out of battery. Try a 14lb and see what happens(functioning and fouling). If you still have problems bump up to a 16 and keep trying.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like shooting with the conversion kit and I guess I will continue to do so. I got a heavier spring for the setup sometime after I bought the kit and just happens to be the spring I installed for shooting. Maybe that's the reason the fouling hasn't been as bad as I was told it would be! Thanks to both of you for helping out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top