Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/17/2005 10:45:10 PM EDT
I have heard and read that some shoot with both eyes open. I have tried dry-firing with both eyes open and I just don't see how it's possible. I focus on the front sight and I see two targets. I have not attemped firing this way as I'm sure I'll only be wasting ammo. Does anyone do this successfully?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:48:49 PM EDT
Yes, but is hard to do indoors w/o a color contrast. try it at the range. Start at 3yds and work your way out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:14:33 PM EDT
The trick here is to actually rely on your eye dominance. Thus, staring a the front sight, it naturally aligns with my right eye (right eye dominant). But I don't use it for target shooting, only for quick "minute of man" shooting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:40:22 AM EDT
It took me awhile to get comfortable with it. Nowadays that's all i really do is keep both eyes open. I'll close one when i'm target shooting for accuracy. Otherwise when i'm shooting at silhouettes and running through drills i shoot like i would in real life. Both eyes open.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:57:58 AM EDT
I wear corrective lenses (nearsighted) , other than that , I have no visual problems.
I have always kept both eyes open while shooting.
I am left eye dominant and also left handed.

It's really a mental issue.
I just don't register any image from my right eye while I concentrate on aiming.

If you find yourself consciously switching focus between the front sight and the Target ,
you may need to have your eyes examined.

Age also has it's effects on sight , your eye muscles just don't react as quickly as you get older.
( getting older ----->me )
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:36:50 AM EDT
I have always shot with both eyes open, whether its with pistols or even shooting my bows. Like its said above, I rely on eye dominance. Actually, I've tried shooting with one eye closed, but really do much better leaving both eyes open. In fact, I even shoot that way with oring sights on most of my rifles, at least those without scopes.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:43:58 AM EDT
It was really difficult for me to get used to especially since I am left-handed but right eye dominant. Your dominant eye definately takes over when you bring the sights up.

I'll never be a gold cup winning shooter, but I have no problems shooting with both eyes open. As a matter of fact I do this with rifles also. The best advice I can offer is to practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:13:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SPTiger:
It was really difficult for me to get used to especially since I am left-handed but right eye dominant. Your dominant eye definately takes over when you bring the sights up.

I'll never be a gold cup winning shooter, but I have no problems shooting with both eyes open. As a matter of fact I do this with rifles also. The best advice I can offer is to practice, practice, practice.

Just a suggestion, cant the gun slightly to your dominant eye side. My brother is cross-dominant, and using that, overcame the problem to be a truly excellent shooter.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:39:25 PM EDT
Personally I wouldn't call shooting a pistol with both eyes open "aiming". If you plan on shooting with both eyes open primarily I'd compare your sight position with one eye closed and with both eyes open to get an idea of sorts to where your point of aim is with both.(Hope that makes sense)

Then just practice on multible targets. I'd shoot 2 rounds with one eye open then shoot 2 more with both open before aiming at the next target. With practice you'll see where you hit and hopefully be able to correct it, until it becomes second nature.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:53:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jason280:
I have always shot with both eyes open, whether its with pistols or even shooting my bows. Like its said above, I rely on eye dominance. Actually, I've tried shooting with one eye closed, but really do much better leaving both eyes open. In fact, I even shoot that way with oring sights on most of my rifles, at least those without scopes.

+1 I've always shot everything with both eyes open. even with a scope.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 4:06:51 PM EDT by codycoyote]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:34:20 PM EDT
yep, rifle with red dot too. I blink the weak eye occasionally if I need to refocus with my dominant eye.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:51:13 PM EDT
I shoot with both eyes open. I focus on the target, whatever that happens to be, then I can see my sights out of my right eye and just align them on the target.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:53:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:00:26 PM EDT
Left handed but right eye dominant. I keep both eyes open and bring my L arm in tight. This gives me a more secure shooting position and no sighting problems.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:12:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:53:44 PM EDT
I always shoot with both eyes open. I can't hit anything otherwise.

Heck, the one pistol we own has such crappy fixed sights that I just don't bother using them. I'm more accurate just point-and-shoot-ing with it than I am taking my time to sight down and try to compensate for its inaccuracy. If I just look down the barrel and fire, I'll at least hit what I was aiming for. If I use the sights, it nearly always hits low and to the right by several inches.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:02:09 PM EDT
I don't see how you can shoot with both eyes open unless you are focusing on the target? I have no problem with my EOTech but with iron sights, I see very clearly two targets. If your focus isn't perfect then you'll see two targets AND two sets of sights. If your "dominant" eye is supposed to take over, why keep both of them open?

I'm not saying it's impossible, I just can't seem to do it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:24:19 PM EDT
Been shootin BEO for 15 + years. It works for me,
others do not like it...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:26:31 PM EDT
I shoot pistols that way. The trick is to shoot the rightmost of the two targets. Left eye dominant people might want to shoot the left one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:00:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
I shoot pistols that way. The trick is to shoot the rightmost of the two targets. Left eye dominant people might want to shoot the left one.

So, if four bad guys are coming toward me, I should shoot the 8th, 6th, 4th, and 2nd. Got it. Seriously though, I will try it.
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I will keep practicing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:02:00 PM EDT
I shoot with both eyes open, but instead of focusing on the front sight like everybody says to do, I focus on the target, and get two images of sights. I just pick out the sights my dominant eye is seeing and use those to aim at the single target.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:05:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BigWorm55:
I shoot with both eyes open, but instead of focusing on the front sight like everybody says to do, I focus on the target, and get two images of sights. I just pick out the sights my dominant eye is seeing and use those to aim at the single target.

Theres a reason everyone says you should focus on the front sight
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:11:26 PM EDT
I tried, but I just couldn't get it to work very well. Could you explain further?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:18:53 PM EDT
I don't see two of anything. I can just kinda turn my left eye "off". If I close my left eye and then open it agian my sight picture never changes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:19:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jtw2:
I don't see two of anything. I can just kinda turn my left eye "off". If I close my left eye and then open it agian my sight picture never changes.

That's actually sorta the effect I get.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:44:42 AM EDT

I tried, but I just couldn't get it to work very well. Could you explain further?

Whether you use one eye or both eyes, looking at the front sight is the only truely effective ay of aiming a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:48:05 AM EDT
I shoot with both eyes open without any problems. My right eye is extremely dominant and I pretty much just tune out my left eye while shooting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:26:24 AM EDT
Do you walk around with one eye closed all the time? I thought not. When you read, do you see two of every letter you read? Nope, didn't think you did. Pistol sights are the same thing, Focus on the front sight and mostly ignore the target. See the rear sight more in outline and make sure that a crystal clear front sight is as exactly aligned as possible in the blur of the rear sight. It's not easy but it's well worth doing.

When you're just learning to use 2 eyes, you can start by putting a small piece of tape over the shooting glasses non-dominant eye and just relax it while you shoot. Later move to a smaller and smaller piece of tape as you train yourself to let the non-dominant eye relax. The reason for keeping both eyes open (among others) is to reduce strain on your eyes and make shooting easier. It really works!...it's a lot more stressful to clinch one eye closed than it is to relax and let it stay open.

For those of you watching the target and convinced it's the way to go? I used to do that. I got pretty decent after extensive practice but hit a plateau that I couldn't get past when shooting competition. I read some shooting books and went back to focusing on the front sight. It worked and I reached a much higher level of proficiency than I was able to otherwise. If it's working for you to focus on the target and you don't believe what the finest marksmen in the world have found is best, keep on. (If you don't believe me, read articles by some guy named Bill Blankenship.)

Now, if I could only regain the eyesight I had at 22 and get rid of the shakes and the occasional flinch that keeps coming back every few months I'd be something.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:00:36 AM EDT
I was taught shooting with both eyes open when I became a LEO. Wouldn't shoot any other way now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:16:46 AM EDT
I use to do this thing called "point shooting" several years ago. I would just look where I wanted to hit, point the weapon, and pull the trigger. When I was in the Marine Corps. we were taught to "point shoot" with our rifles. This concept was primarily used for patrols where you carried your weapon at the "ready" at hip level. You did not have the time to aim so you merely pointed your weapon at your target using hand-eye coordination. Typically, you could hit where you were pointing or darn close. This does not work for everyone, nor every scenerio. It can be very effective for quick reaction training. We used it for pop-up targets along a trail. I believe that using both eyes to shoot is based upon the same premise. You tend concentrate more on your target instead of your sights.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:59:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:34:05 PM EDT
Right handed and right eye dominant and can not close or squint left eye only
with out the right eye closing also.

Taught myself to shoot two eyes open since I was a kid with a BB gun.

After many years wouldn't have it anyother way.

I can draw up a scope on target very quickly and other great advantages.

GM
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:35:24 PM EDT
I've known for years I'm left eye dominant. When I "retired" from duck hunting and started back with pistol I decided to concentrate one day on weak hand firing. To my surprise, I was a HELL of a lot better lefty. Since my holsters are for the right side I have practiced "transfering" my pistols to my left hand during the draw. After all these years it is more natural than trying to relearn to draw with my left hand.

My big problem now is when I try to shoot right handed at > 5 yards. I really stink!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT

I'd take this thread with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to flame but do you see anyone shooting high power matches chiming in to tell you to open both eyes when you aim. I'm not a genius but I'm pretty sure that the sights on your firearm were designed for one eye open aiming.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:03 PM EDT
Pistols should be shot with both eyes open. Rifles are another matter, because of their longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:45:48 PM EDT
I always shoot both eyes open. I lightly squint my left eye to avoid seeing double and retain the use of peripheral vision. I don't focus on the front sight, but I can still easily tell when the sights are and are not lined up correctly.

For some people it works, for some it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:47:59 PM EDT
My brother is almost as good a pistol shooter as me, and he closes an eye. But he focuses on the front sight too.
Top Top