Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 1:18:04 PM EDT
Because of my affection for Beretta pistol, I bought a PX4 in 9MM yesterday from my local gun store. I have been waiting for Beretta to build a serious, full-size polymer-framed pistol suitable for CCW and everything I read said this should fit the bill. The pistol fits my medium-sized hands well. The grip length is about the same as a G17 but seems thinner. The barrel is the same length as a G19. The DA trigger is long but smooth and the SA trigger is crisp. I was a little dissapointed that the trigger reset isn't as solid as I prefer, but it is tolerable. The safety is easy to engage but difficult to disengage due to the shape of the lever. It seemed very stiff; it may loosen with age. I don't plan on using it other than to decock the pistol. The pistol should be easy to conceal and light enough to carry all day without pain. I'll let you know once I find a holster.

Today the wife and I took the pistol to the range. 300 rounds of Blazer 115 gr and 25 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p were fired without malfunction. Accuracy is what you would expect from Beretta. I was able to keep all shots in the head of a B27 stlye target at 25 yards offhand, which is about the limit of my shooting skill with any pistol. This pistol shot to poa straight out of the box. Next I tried several combat shooting drills, including 3 and 5 shot strings starting with the pistol in DA mode. I was able to keep all of my first shots on target due to the smooth DA trigger and the transition to SA was effort less. Recoil is very managable even during rapid fire. Again, I was able to keep all shots inside the head of a B-27 style target from seven yards shooting as fast as I could while still seeing the sights. My only complaint is that the sides of the grip are too smooth and the pistol seemed to shift in my hand when shooting +p loads rapid fire. I would prefer a rougher texture on the grips. The casings eject well, but not as well as with my glocks or other Beretta pistols. This may improve as the extractor loosens up.

Disassambly of the pistol is easy and does not require any special tool or pulling the trigger. It's as easy to clean as my glocks.

Overall, I am very impressed with this pistol. I have ordered a holster from Desantis (the only manufacturer that I could find that is currently making a holster for this new pistol) and I will let you know how this pistol works as a CCW piece as soon as it arrives.

Top Top