Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 2/19/2006 4:25:29 AM EDT
I've done some searching and will need to try the LEM in person, but I do have a few questions.

As a rule, I don't like manual safeties on combat guns. I'm more of the simple "pull trigger, bang" school. I happen to like Glocks, but the square grip, and grip angle are horrible for me.  So, when I went shopping I eventually picked out two fine H&K products in .40:
- USP Full Size V1
- P2000SK V3

However, while shooting competitively, I've come to realize that the 12 pound DA trigger pull completely sucks. I'm starting to get jealous of those Glock guys (well, for that and those nice $15 mags).

I'd like to re-standardize and am thinking about changing out the USP for a P2000 (full size). And the LEM trigger has me curious.

A few questions if you'd indulge me:

- In a LEM trigger (US version), it's a long 8# trigger pull until *bang*. Then a short reset and another 8#s, but at a much shorter pull? Or is it like some of the Walthers where it's almost nothing until the "catch" then a short 8#.

- On the HKPro forums there are instructions for changing the 8# pull to a 4.5#. Offhand, I would prefer this as it would seem similar to the standard Glock pull weight. If this conversion is done, there are no reliability effects, correct? It's just swapping to the same factory/Wolff springs that H&K doesn't send us?

Thanks for the time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The change from V2 to V1 or V4 does not affect reliability in the least.  Some have complained that if you let out really slowly on the trigger, way past the point that it resets, with the 5 pound conversion the trigger may not go all the way forward.  Mine does.  To that I say, don't let off the trigger like your grandmother.  It does not affect function if the trigger does not go all the way forward because as I said, it is well past the reset point but some people like to worry.  You get off the trigger normally and it goes all the way forward.
 In the 8 to 5.5 pound conversion you use the exact same parts that HK uses in the trigger swap, no Wolff or other aftermarket parts are used.  In the P2K/SK trigger job on HKPRO that I posted I even include the HK part numbers you need to buy in order to do the job.  This conversion is exactly the same thing HK does to get V4 and V1 from the standard V2.
To go to the 4.5 pound pull you do need to replace the hammer spring with the Wolff 10 pound spring.  Do not do this unless this gun is to be used for nothing other than a range piece.  While my testing with this part in there did not produce any misfires, it was a misfire waiting to happen.  The hammer fall is noticeably lighter and I put back in the HK hammer spring.  One extra pound of lighter pull does not outweigh the risks of a misfire IMO.

The pull is long and the take-up is about 5 pounds of the pull then you hit a "stop" then about 3 more pounds of pressure fires it.  After the first shot the reset is almost immediate and you do not have that long take-up again, just apply the same amount of overall pressure and off it goes but the total pressure being applied is the same.  If you let all the way off the trigger then you have the long take-up again.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top