Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 3:00:05 PM EDT
New to the 1911 arena, so what is the difference between Kimber Series I and Series II? (Other than Series I came first.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Series two uses an inferior external extractor and a PITA Schwartz drop safety.

I prefer Series 1, if you couldn't tell already
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Technically, there is no such thing as a Series I. Originally, the Kimber pistols were configured like a series 70 Colt, that is no additional safety devices. The model designation on these pistols were simply Custom, Ultra, Compact, etc.

A few years ago, Kimber started adding their version of a firing pin block orginally designed for Colt called the Schwartz safety. Kimber pistols with this safety system are identified by a Roman numeral II following the model name. This came to be known as "Series II" pistols.

This design incoporates a plunger that protrudes through the top of the frame, an rises when the grip safety is depressed. The plunger contacts the bottom of the firing pin block and lifts it clear of the firing pin. The firing pin has a narrow section that interfaces with the firing pin block. One advantage of this type of system is that the additional components are activated by the grip safety and therfore does not effect the trigger feel. This is one criticism of the Colt Series 80 safety system.

A year or two after the introduction of the firing pin block system (Series II) Kimber first introduced what they called the 'Tactical Extractor' on the Tactical Custom II, Tactical Pro II, and Tactical Ultra II. This was their first external extractor. Following, this Kimber announced that they intended to transition all models to utilize the Tactical Extractor. It is my understanding that all new pistols now have the "Series II" safety system and external extractor (except for the Warrior models)

So, the the 'Series II' designation only indentifies pistols with the firing pin block. A Series II pistol, depending when it was manufactured, can have either an internal or external extractor. FYI, a year or two ago, they sold two Anniversary editions that had no firing pin block, and an internal extractor. You might still find one on the shelf somewhere.

I have Kimbers with and without FPB's and internal and external extractors. My preference, no FPB and give me an internal extractor. The reason is fewer parts to go wrong in the ignition system, and I can easily replace and tune an internal extractor. The FPB and external extractor parts are propietary to Kimber.

I love my Kimbers and have a hard time imagining buying any other 1911. IMO, they are a great pistol and a good value. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top