Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 6:15:39 PM EDT
So how important is the plunger?

Will the pistol still function without one?

Yea....I lost mine...but I blame the kitty.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Replacement plungers are available from Brownells and Midway.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Replacement plungers are available from Brownells and Midway.

Oh I understand that.

I cheeped out and thought I would find one at the gunshow..(shipping and all)

Well I did, I found a no-name brand that I''ve been trying to sand down to fit in the recess.

And while I am, making progress, I'm just wondering iffin the bastige is really necessary.

mechanically speaking of course.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that if you remove the plunger and spring from the slide the pistol will still function. You can test it by pushing on the firing pin and seeing if it protrudes enough on the bolt face of the slide to strike a primer when you have your finger over the firing pin hole.

ETA; I'd leave the linkage in the frame.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=84986&page=1
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think that if you remove the plunger and spring from the slide the pistol will still function. You can test it by pushing on the firing pin and seeing if it protrudes enough on the bolt face of the slide to strike a primer when you have your finger over the firing pin hole.

Thank you.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I just was wanting a reassuring nod that the old design will still function without the new wave oddities.

Thanks for the link 1911smith.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you ditch the plunger and spring in the slide you must also remove the 2 pieces in the frame. The leg that pushes the plunger can move far enough to enter the hole in the slide. Brownells sells the frame slot filler cheap.http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13121/Product/1911_AUTO_FRAME_SLOT_BLANK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top