Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 7:28:18 AM EDT
Could someone enlighten me about a Colt Series 80 "Combat Target"?
I puchased it new in 95/96?, punched paper with it, shot a couple IPSC local matches then stuck in the safe where it's sat for years and I have no desire to sell it.
One local "expert" told me that there was no such animal (should have seen the look on his highness' mug when I pulled it out of my range bag for him to see), some internet guru said it was a worthless Series 80 and another said it was "a poor man's Gold Cup"; I'm just curious to know a bit more about the gun.
I do know that it is part of a limited run of 1000 and I have serial number 8XX, I have discarded the rubber grips and added walnut double diamond grips. It has always shot ball very well and at 25 yards the groups are base ball sized (the gun will shoot better, my mere modicum of skill is reflected in the group size..lol).
Any info on the "Combat Target" is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I can tell, it is referred to as the "poor man's Gold Cup" because it sold for less than the Gold Cup, with a less polished slide.  It was called "Combat" because it had a newer commander-type hammer and beavertail grip safety (duck-bill style).  The Gold Cups at the time (IIRC) had the spur hammer and standard grip safety.  It was called "Target" because it had target sights.  

I don't know what kind of barrel it had.  Can you tell us what it says on the barrel hood?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#2]
 I bought mine new in '94 for $645.I have made modifications to it.I am sure I have killed any collector value it might have.At the time of the mods,I did not know anything about this pistol––just another Colt 1911..It is also my 1st and favorite 1911––so if I hurt the value with the mods,so be it––-I don't ever intend to sell this one.I have also heard it called the "poor mans Gold Cup" It does have the Gold Cup trigger. Enjoy it––I do mine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
They were, as previously stated, a poor man's Gold Cup. They used a stock 1911 barrel and bushing and a non overtravel stop trigger but the frame, slide, and sights were the same as the GC. Collector value from what I've been told is minimal unless they are brand new in box with papers as they were just another short run 1911 edition worth generally little note. They are good shooters and nice guns to build off of as well. Here is one I built for a guy a couple years ago.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
On the barrel hood it is marked "COLT 45 AUTO".
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Some very nice custom work.
I'm giving some thought to having a more visible front sight installed, the "duck bill" replaced with an "Ed Brown Memory Groove" and go with a steel MSH.
The other side of that is it shoots just fine the way it is, it's tempting to just leave it be and just shoot it.
I did notice that my trigger stop screw is missing, so I'll need to replace it.
I did not think that it has any collector value; if I recall, COLT was turning out lots of limited runs/configurations at that time.
Thank you for the additional insight into my "Combat Target"

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the compliment. The biggest pain in building that was hand cutting the serrations on the top of the slide and keeping them straight throughout the length. You’re right about Colt putting out a lot of “limited editions” about that time. Like I said they can be collectable IF they are NIB with all the goodies but other than that really aren’t any more valuable than any other Colt of the same vintage. Of course the pony always adds a certain premium but you knew that.

The barrel that’s in it marked "COLT 45 AUTO" is, again, a factory 1911 barrel. The Gold Cups came with one that would have said "COLT 45 AUTO NM” or something of the like. Also unless yours has been modified previously it never came with a trigger stop screw (not drilled and tapped)...again, poor man's GC. I installed the screw into that one and I imagine the other gentleman got a GC trigger for his. You need to be careful when adjusting the screw though as getting the tolerances too tight can cause the firing pin safety to not disengage correctly. The front sight on that one is a standard 1911 from Trijicon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
. Also unless yours has been modified previously it never came with a trigger stop screw (not drilled and tapped)...again, poor man's GC. I installed the screw into that one and I imagine the other gentleman got a GC trigger for his. You need to be careful when adjusting the screw though as getting the tolerances too tight can cause the firing pin safety to not disengage correctly. The front sight on that one is a standard 1911 from Trijicon.
My pistol was new in the box when purchased and this is the trigger that was in it––screw and all.Although I have never adjusted the screw.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't remember if the thing came with a stop or not, the hole is there for it.
Must be CRS setting in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I must stand corrected then. The one I posted had no screw or hole; I had to drill and tap for it. I assume it must have been an option then.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top