Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2012 6:52:24 AM EDT
Ok guys, I bought a Remington Enhanced 1911 without knowing it had a Series 80 set up.  I knew of the Series 80 by reputation only.  I'm familiar with a basic 1911 (have completely rebuilt and swapped most of the parts on one of mine.)

Trigger pull felt real nice though even with all the extra parts.

When I finally got a chance to shoot it, the hammer fell on the last round without discharging the round.  Manually cocked the hammer and tried again and got a bang.  This happened with all three mags I put through it (different mags.)

Is this a problem with the Series 80 safety?  Should I send it back to Remington?  Or, just give it some more rounds and see if the problem persists?

(Note:  I had not field stripped and cleaned prior to shooting)
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:55:00 AM EDT
might be the timing is off a little on the parts, just find it odd that it is only the last round.  May be to early to tell but I pull the FP out and check the plunger and FP for abnormal wear.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:59:09 AM EDT
Thanks.

The fact that it was the eighth round every time is what really made me scratch my head too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:09:45 AM EDT
You could always ditch the S80 parts and buy the frame shim to avoid the problem entirely in the future.  

The last round phenomenon is interesting.   Could be that the S80 levers only line up properly when there is spring tension on the bottom of the slide via the magazine?  Weird.

The upside is that Remington will probably send you a shipping label and turn it around pretty quickly if you email their customer service.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:24:38 AM EDT
Could it be failing to go all the way into battery on the last round? the first hammer strike sending it home? Weird...
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:29:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/3/2012 8:30:20 AM EDT by 1911smith]
8th round. I had a series 80 that had a hang up on last round using only Chip McCormick 10 round magazines.

I don't remember all the particulars. I just remember a whole lot of searching web for answers as no one I knew had an answer.

Every post I made in forums was returned with, "doesn't make sense."

In the end I filed a little off magazine side of disconnector because magazine pitch changes as magazine empties.  Magazine having worst of pitch on 8th round.

-but––

Sounds as if free travel has shortened too and plunger is catching firing pin.

Magazine tightening against disconector required I run more free travel when using CMC magazine -vs- every other make of magazine.

Why only the CMC mags you ask ? Tubes are thicker. Measure front to back on factory mag with calipers, then measure 10 round CMCs.

Sending in might be a good idea.

I remember this taking several months to wrap my head around it all.

One macro of firing pin plunger will tell most of this story.

btw, what 8 round magazine are you using ?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:21:10 AM EDT
You have a brand new gun that has a problem.

The smart move is to send it back to the factory to have it made right.  As above, Remington will send you a shipping label so it won't cost you anything but a little time.
Attempting to fix it yourself may not correct the problem and could void the warranty.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:06:10 AM EDT
I'm not really wanting to tinker with it if I can't get a firm answer on a fix. I do intend to take the slide apart and inspect that, but that will probably be as far as it goes.  

I had thought about taking the Series 80 parts out and getting the shim, but if I can get it to run reliably, I had thought about carrying it. Don't want to have to answer in court why I removed a factory safety.

I'm using Chip Mccormick Shooting Star 8-rounders. That's all I use and have never had a problem before.

As far as the eighth round not going into battery, I guess that could be what happened, but the slide travel didn't feel any different, and I usually feel differences in other guns. I'll pay attention if I when I get a chance to shoot again.
Top Top