Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 4:18:02 PM EDT
I've been wanted a 1911 target gun for a while, and have been contemplating sending my SA GI .45 in to a smith to have what I want done.

However, I see that there are a couple STI guns that have just about all the things I would have added/done to my SA, and for about the same price. The obvious benefit of this is I would have 2 1911s instead of one.

What say you all great ARFCOM 1911 fellows of STI pistols?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive had a STI Edge in 40.cal. for a few years. I got it from David Dawson, it is the tightest shooting pistol I have EVER shot.

Im a cheap bastard and even though it set me back about $1700. I still have No complaints.

Oh and the 19 rds in a mag isnt shabby either
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If I do go with an STI, I think I'd like to go with one of their single stack guns. I'm probably going to go with 45 ACP or 38 Super, I'm weighing the merits of each round.

The one I'm most looking at is the 5" Trojan.

If I send my SA in it'll most likely stay 45ACP.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
we had a guy shooting an STI single stack at a class this weekend.  the web of his hand was torn up after about 400 rounds.  the frame by the beavertail was just too sharp.  the double stacks don't have this problem.

if i were to go sti, it would be double stack in 38super, with the high-caps.  only a few rounds short of my AR
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I would probably just get an STI.  

Based on what I own, my ranking puts STI above your standard over-the-counter 1911 (Colt, Kimber, SA) but below the semi-customs (Wilson, LB, etc.).  

That being said, I own a 6" Target Master and it's one of the most accurate 1911's I've ever owned.  The weight really helps with the recoil (magwell, FLGR, & Bull barrel).  If your looking for a true target pistol, you may want to look at one of these. They're reasonably priced, it's a single stack, and available in 9mm or .45.

STI eye candy:

Legacy
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Doubled
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife loves her Trojan in .38 Super.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I would go STI if it were a double stack. If a single stack is your preference I would go with Les Baer (and did!).

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to stay with single stack because the grip works so well for me.

I've seen Les Baer pistols (they've moved over to Iowa now ) and they are certainly nice, but on average they cost about $800 to $1,000 more than what I would have done to my pistol, or a Trojan. I'm not sure that I can justify that extra expense right now.

I'm thinking I'm probably going to go with a second pistol instead of sending mine in. I'm thinking more is better.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've seen Les Baer pistols (they've moved over to Iowa now ) and they are certainly nice, but on average they cost about $800 to $1,000 more than what I would have done to my pistol, or a Trojan. I'm not sure that I can justify that extra expense right now.

when you finally own one. anything less will not do.  after i bought a Les Baer, i thought, "oh shit, now every pistol from here on out will cost me 2 grand"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Spartan and a Trojan.  Both are terrific.  It's nice having a custom build done too though.  Hard decision.  I think I'd buy a STI and keep the springer. 2-1911>1-1911
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've picked-up two used, like new LB PII's for under $1500.  You can find similar deals on GunBroker.  An LB can be had at a good price.  IMHO, LB's are the best deal for the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top