Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2009 9:03:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/7/2009 9:06:52 AM EST by Spook410]
Like many here I keep a handgun in my car. I am, of course, concerned about someone stealing it at several levels. This was heightened when some kid broke into my rental over vacation. The cell phone and old digital camera he stole were worthless at a pawn shop giving some satisfaction and the car wasn't damaged so it was as easy as this sort of lesson was ever going to be. So now I need to take action and secure my firearm.

I can put it in the trunk which is OK and necessary at work since I'm in a federal facility where I can't take it in. Work parking is secure but can't say the same for local malls and restaurants. You can open the trunk from inside the car without a key and there is no way to disable that capability. Options I've found online include:

1. Bolt to the floor in car gun safe. Pretty secure but in the way and depending on the design may make the gun hard to get to if I were to ever need it.
2. Portable steel gun case with a steel cable lock. These are cheap ($30) and I have to believe a car thief is not equipped with bolt cutters but it takes a key to open the case

I could just secure the gun in the case on an as needed basis and a steel cabled box in the trunk may be the answer (might get a small fire safe and pad it rather than a gun box).

Has someone come up with a good solution?
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 10:02:52 AM EST
2. Portable steel gun case with a steel cable lock. These are cheap ($30) and I have to believe a car thief is not equipped with bolt cutters but it takes a key to open the case

I have this one. I use it very rarely as I always carry my handgun, but I will take it when I travel and stay in hotel rooms. Not all of them have safe deposit box in the room and if I want to grab a few drinks, I know it will be secured to the bed frame. I also leave it in the car should I want to have a drink and don't carry the gun in the restaurant. I'm pretty sure most break ins are snatch and grab and don't have time to cut the cable. Mine is hidden under my seat, so a thief would have to look around for it. Most just break in to steal valuable visible items.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 11:40:19 AM EST
This is what I use. It's lockable, and has a cable which goes around the seat attachment.
A pair of bolt cutters would defeat it.
The only time I use it is if I'm going into an area where a concealed firearm is a problem.

If I were to leave a gun in my truck for a day or so, I'd probably go heavier.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:08:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By 50-140:
This is what I use. It's lockable, and has a cable which goes around the seat attachment.
A pair of bolt cutters would defeat it.
The only time I use it is if I'm going into an area where a concealed firearm is a problem.

If I were to leave a gun in my truck for a day or so, I'd probably go heavier.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

Ordered one of these and its nice. It also came in record time. Worth checking out.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:52:37 PM EST
I use whats called a life jacket. It's bassically a clamshell device that envelopes the pistol and holds it securely. I bolted mine to the floorboard of my truck under the back seat.

http://www.mseworldwide.com/
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:57:58 AM EST
I use the cabled steel case. Not the COM, but the brand Cabelas sells.
I keep on in each vehicle, with a 9mm and extra mags, in the trunk.
In my pickup it's attached to the seat frame.

I buy the large one so I can add my pocket .380 to it if I need to disarm.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:07:12 AM EST
Tag!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:33:11 AM EST
The steel box with a cable approach is fine for short term storage, i.e. you run into a store that doesn't allow concealed carry. I really do not put much confidence in mine though since a simple pair of bolt cutters, or even wire cutters, would defeat the cable.

I would love to upgrade to a bolt down in car safe, but I will probably not be keeping this vehicle much longer. Personally, I would recommend you go this route (even though I didn't, yet).
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:14:07 AM EST
My UC duty vehicle has a lockbox hidden inside the center console. I'm not sure who makes it, but they usually buy them from Galls. It's hidden from plain sight and would deter even the most hardcore thief with tools. It locks with those barrel-keys and is probably 1/8" thick.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:39:55 AM EST
Check out consolevault.us It's a lockbox that bolts into your center console. Mine cost just over $300, but it is solid and would be very difficult to break into, also it's hidden but easily accesable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:50:18 AM EST
https://www.berettausa.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?parentID=IT00000410&parentLink=2100000084:3100000484:3100001624

Mesh steel bag with cable and padlock.

I would not think of it as a car safe but it would stop anyone not prepared in advance to breech it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:45:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 1:45:37 PM EST by Spook410]
Thanks to all for the help. I ended up buying 2 of the steel mesh security bags because they serve as something to take in places like a hotel when I'm travelling and will adapt to my nav unit and radar detector. (that and they were on sale for $30 and the cheapest any place else was $54: thanks for the pointer JSG). I will try to remember to write a brief description of this item and how suitable it is when it comes in.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:21:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By Spook410:
Thanks to all for the help. I ended up buying 2 of the steel mesh security bags because they serve as something to take in places like a hotel when I'm travelling and will adapt to my nav unit and radar detector. (that and they were on sale for $30 and the cheapest any place else was $54: thanks for the pointer JSG). I will try to remember to write a brief description of this item and how suitable it is when it comes in.

l am curious to see how well it is made. If they are made anything like stainless outer on braided hose I will get one. I ordered one from center of mass back when this was originally posted and I am not happy with it. It was not the quality I was expecting, although it is better than nothing. I feel like I could crack it open with no tools. The two halfs don't even meet up when it is closed and locked. It also smelled terrible. I had to hose it down with febreze and let it air out for a week before I attempted putting it in my car.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:04:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By jwb211:

Originally Posted By Spook410:

l am curious to see how well it is made. If they are made anything like stainless outer on braided hose I will get one. I ordered one from center of mass back when this was originally posted and I am not happy with it. It was not the quality I was expecting, although it is better than nothing. I feel like I could crack it open with no tools. The two halfs don't even meet up when it is closed and locked. It also smelled terrible. I had to hose it down with febreze and let it air out for a week before I attempted putting it in my car.

I have had this bag for a few months now and use it every week day. I have also taken it out of town on a trip or 2. While I have not given it any abuse, it shows no signs of wear. It absolutely had no smell when I got it. The mesh is not nearly as tight as stainless sleeve on a hose. It is about a one inch weave. It is really stiff when new but will soften up with use. A 1911 in a Tucker Silent Thunder mostly fills it.

For under $40 (including shipping) I do not think it can be beat but it is not a device that cannot be cracked. It would be easy to open with a small bolt cutter. It also is not easy to open and get the gun in a hurry. My last complaint is that I cannot find a small but strong combination lock to replace the keyed lock that comes with the bag. However I still find it fills my needs and will continue to use it until I stumble onto something I like better.
Top Top