Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:08:35 AM EDT
Who the hell are RIA? A NEW USGI 1911A1 for that little I dunno If I can pass up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:14:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
Who the hell are RIA? A NEW USGI 1911A1 for that little I dunno If I can pass up.

Hardly. More like, cheap imported east asian pot metal formed into the general shape of a 1911A1. They don't feel right at all to me anyway. If I were you, I'd get a Springfield GI .45. That's about the cheapest I would go and they can be had for about $389 if you know where to look. Alright, now let the flames begin. MJD
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:02:42 AM EDT
Chapper, for a guy who says he dropped 50 large on guns in the last year, why would you waste money on cheap crap?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:17:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SP10:
Chapper, for a guy who says he dropped 50 large on guns in the last year, why would you waste money on cheap crap?

It's not 'waste money' It's just that everyone here ahs a 'throwback' 1911 and I wanted to see why.

and I wish I dropped only 50K this past year, I'd be SO much happier now!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:44:03 AM EDT
Follow highwayman's advice for a "throw-back" 1911. The base-line springers are a decent pistol. I really liked the version I shot.

Damn, joe, aren't you a "poor college student?"
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:02:22 AM EDT

Follow highwayman's advice for a "throw-back" 1911. The base-line springers are a decent pistol. I really liked the version I shot.

Damn, joe, aren't you a "poor college student?"

I am now! I just have a really nice arsenal!

I had some money and I decided to invest most of it in Machine guns and some in long guns. I decided to not pussyfoot it and really throw alot of money into it. Now all I have to do is survive a couple of decades till they (Class 3 guns) mature to where I want them to be (I'm projecting a 300% increase in 40 years. don't ask me how I came up with that number cause it was ridiculously complicaed and probably made no sense. ). Until then, I can live off of selling a gun now and then that I am bored with. Of course my plan only works for a single guy with livin expenses around 1300$/month! If I get married, I'm screwed. Might actualy have to get a job! eeep!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:04:06 AM EDT
Ask some of the bigger name smiths if they'll work on your RIA.

(and prepare to be laughed at.)

I might take a chance on one if I had only $300 to spend and lived in a parallel dimension where Springfield GIs or Milspecs had never been made.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:27:04 PM EDT
It is amazing how many people post on how the RIA 1911 are "cheap", "pot metal", POS, etc. I have one that is a very nice pistol. Quality fit and finish, as well as utter reliability and I am working on my second case of ammo for it. I have several friends who have purchased one for themselves after trying mine and all are well satisfied. I would have no problem with picking it up to defend myself and counting on it to go bang. It was the best $269 I have spent in the last two years.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:38:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:15:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JohnRippert:
It is amazing how many people post on how the RIA 1911 are "cheap", "pot metal", POS, etc. I have one that is a very nice pistol.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. They are definitely a notch above the Llamas. I have nothing against cheap guns if they're good cheap guns, and I own a few myself.

But I don't think it's realistic to expect that you can build up a RIA and turn it into a tack-driving gem in the same way as is routinely done to Springfields, Colts, etc.

It is what it is, and prospective buyers are probably better off knowing that up front.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 3:06:54 PM EDT by twl]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:51:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twl:
I agree that the quality levels on the RIA and Armscor guns can be hit-and-miss.
They aren't always good, and aren't always bad.
I've read all the trashing that goes on about them, and I bought one anyway.

I'm no rookie to 1911 pistols.
I've owned many Colt 1911's, including Gold Cups, and many Springfield Armory 1911's, including Trophy Match and TRP Operator, Peters Stahl, Norinco, Argentine Model 1927, several Kimbers, an Auto Ordnance, etc. I've been shooting 1911's for almost 30 years.

In my opinion, all these guns can have problems, and I've had Colts with cracked frames, and Colts with poor accuracy, and Springfields with cracked slides, and plenty of feeding and extraction issues with almost all of them.

This bit about how some one brand is "so much better" than another brand is not really very accurate, from my experiences.

This Armscor pistol that I got is very nice for the money, and it runs as well as any 1911 I have ever owned, including the TRP. It's not quite as accurate, but it is plenty good for defense work, and gives about 2.5" groups at 25yds. I"ve heard the stories about "soft metal" but my ejector is holding up plenty good, and there is no peening or other problems with the frame or slide or slide stop area. Slide to frame fit is tight, and is as good as any Kimber. Extraction is fine, and it has the external extractor, similar to the Kimber. And it has real Novak Lo-mount sights, scalloped ejection port, Nowlin-type ramped and supported barrel, ambi-safety, beavertail grip safety,skeletonized round hammer, full-length guide rod, bevelled mag well, and exotic wood grips. Fit and finish is as good as any Kimber, and it looks alot like a Kimber. The blue finish is very good and even and deep colored, and looks great.Aftermarket 1911 parts go right onto it as well as any other 1911 I've owned.(not that I've needed to do much, since it's already got everything standard)

I did a trigger job, which was needed, and that's all. The 3-finger spring needed some stoning and polishing, as did most of the trigger group parts, and I have plenty of experience in doing that. I had it back together in no-time, and it now has a 3-pound crisp trigger with virtually no creep and zero overtravel. And yes, the hammer notch is still 20 thou, and is square and clean, and there is no indication of wanting to hammer-follow. I did all the tests for that, and I've done enough trigger jobs to know.

I can't say that you will get one just as good as this one, but they are not ALL bad.

It cost me $379 plus background check and tax, brand new.

It choked on one Hydra Shok during the break-in and has been 100% ever since.

what model did you get, i've got the mil spec model, but had a few things changed on it, but it has the internal extracter..

i have been very happy with my RIA, and i plan on getting the commander style later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 4:34:05 PM EDT by twl]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 4:32:17 PM EDT by Wave]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:30:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:48:08 PM EDT
I bought a RIA and I am more than happy with it. Looks great, functions without problems and pretty darn accurate also. I guess there is not to much more you can ask from a gun.

The reason I bought it was that I sold my guns to finance school and needed something cheap to have fun with. This was the cheapest out there and it has performed as well as my Para or Springer that I had owned.

If I had the money I would have bought a S & W Target 1911 but I have no regrets spending the $269.00 just for plinking.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:03:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wave:
I saw one today out on Long Island(T&T Gunnery - $399!) while doing some 1911 shopping myself. I think I'd rather spend the $$$ on a Springfield GI, a base model Kimber, or even a Glock in 45ACP!

TandT.... no comment.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:15:54 PM EDT
Rock Island Armory/Armscor are Phillipine made, cast 1911's.

While it is true some people have decent running RIA's, you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it when Springfield offers a far superior pistol for a tiny bit more. Also, good luck with the warranty in the event something goes wrong.

I just don't see why anyone would take the risk on a foreign cast pistol with a negative track record when they can get a solid forged American made shooter with a real warranty for just a little more. I guess it's all just opinional though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 5:41:19 PM EDT by twl]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:26:37 PM EDT
Only a small number of unfinished frames and slides come from Brazil. The final machinework, finishing, and assembly is done in America. IIRC, Imbel does the basic forging when they are outsourced to Brazil.

I myself have seen about a 1/30 ratio of Brazilian made to American made SA's. I admit I haven't looked at the base model GI's that in depth to see if they are of mostly Brazilian made. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:27:22 AM EDT
If your looking to drop around $300 on a 1911, think Norinco 1911.

If you look around, you should be able to find on for around that price used (but still brand new with the box).

Trust me, the pistol's steel is up there with the best of them, and was the platform to use for a less exspencive build not to long ago when you could buy them new.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:37:57 PM EDT

can I get an "owned"?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:00:04 PM EDT
RIA is a great gun for the price. I've got two: one full size GM type and one compact. The compact is the concealed carry weapon. Both go 'bang' & qualifying with both is a breeze. Yeah, if you want to spend more, then go for it and buy a big name gun. I'm happy with mine. Bottom line: go with what you like. It's your weapon. But you'll probably like one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:49:10 AM EDT
I wanted an inexpensive 1911 to practice gunsmithing on and the RIA fit the bill.

I didn't want to file and grind on a Colt or Springfield and the gunshop's only cheap 1911 was the RIA.

I've been pleased with FOR THE MONEY.

It doesn't have the fine details that indicate quality, but it works.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:44:33 AM EDT
All I know is I recently handled one at a gun shop, the dealer told me it was "technicaly used", because it had been fired on the in-house range, the finish allready showed wear at the edges, the grip on one side was cracked, the rear sight was drifted so far right that it was barely hanging into the dovetail. After seeing that, I decided to buy another Springfield.
Top Top