Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 3:16:19 PM EDT
Just curious about how well S&W backs up theyre warranty on firearms?
Does the warranty apply for the life of the firearm, orginal purchaser only, etc?
Thanks in advace.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:30:28 AM EDT
i had a 669 (12 shot 9mm) that i bought used. after several thousand rnds. a crack went through the slide stop pin hole up the rail on the frame.
i talked to them about a replacement (i figured since it was used, no warrenty).
they told me to send it in, might be a factory defect.

when i got it back about 3 weeks later, i found a 6906 frame w/ my slide (original ser. #stamped on it).

i felt VERY impressed w/ what they did, no cost but the initial shipping to me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:35:07 PM EDT
They're a lot better than they used to be on warranties, IMO. Whether it was their lawyers suggesting that or marketing, it's worked.

Most guns bought in the last 5-10 years have a lifetime warranty, IIRC. Earlier guns may be hit or miss on what they'll cover, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:19:16 AM EDT
I would say pretty dam good. I was puttimg my !911 back together. The recoil spring plug and spring took off. I found the spring, but the plug wnet to parts unknown. That was on a Tuesday. On Wensday, I called S&W, to order a new plug. I was talking to the guy on the phone told him what happened, that i would like to order a new plug. I was told no problem, it was covered under warranty. They would ship me a new one right away. I reminded the guy that the plug was still in my living room,and eventually I would find it. He said no problem still covered under warranty. That friday I got the new plug in the mail. The next day I found the old plug. So yes I would say that S&W have pretty good warranty policy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:22:24 AM EDT
It has gotten a lot better since they pulled all the repairs back to the factory. My guess is that the service shops tended to have gone over the edge in regards to what was being replaced, and the costs got a little out of hand.

As for any of the manufators, it just comes down to a legal stand point. The last thing that they want is one of the firarms to be defective and still in the public hands. Simple stated, if you send them a pistol to be corrected, then refuse to have to pay any extra charges for them to get it back to par, chances are the firearm will be sent back to corrected anyway at no charge (read more of a legal thing, than a PR thing).

The downfall to this, is say you send anything to Ruger with custom work done, trust me, the firearm will be returned in a complete stock condition (and no, you don't get the tweak/after market parts back).
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:39:14 AM EDT
The new owners manual says:
"This warranty is granted by S&W.This warranty is effective from the date of purchase after Feb. 1,1989 and applies to the original owner of any handgun purchased after that date.With respect to such handguns,this warraty supersedes any and all warraties.S&W handguns are warrantied to be free from defects in material and workmanship.Any such defects of which S&W receives written notice within one year from date of purchase by the original owner,will be remedied by S&W without charge within a reasonable time after such notification.
Extended service policy begins after the warranty period has expired.S&W will repair,without charge,any handgun purchased by the original owner on or after Feb.1,1989 that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship.Eligibility for this extended service policy requires returning the product registration card within 30 days of purchase."
Goes on to say a bit more but thats the date covered.
Good enough for me.S&W has always gone to great lengths to make me happy and I have nothing but praise for them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:10:20 PM EDT
Top Top