Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 5:07:26 PM EDT
Has anyone here had any experience with one of these? A local dealer is selling them for $195. Is this a good price.  How do they compare to a Ruger 22 auto?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
if it is new it is a great price, still not a bad price for a used one around here.  

i have about 10k through mine.  i did break it once and it seems as though S&W must have had more than one come back for the same problem as it was fixed quickly and in a new fashion.  it is way more accurate than i am.  as far as comparing to a ruger, well that depends on which ruger.  i chose the smith based on the mounting platform, and the accuracy.  also the ease of field stripping.  i dont remember which ruger it was that i was looking at but it was a mutha to strip.

Brett
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife owns one. We love that gun. Strips easily for cleaning, shoots great, is just a little ammo sensitive though. It is easy to keep the steel plate targets spinning. When she gets to shooting that gun all I get to do is load magazines. The ruger/buckmark loader works but not as well as I would like.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
By ammo sensitive do you mean it won't  shoot target loads well? Do you have to feed it high vel ammo?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a S&W M22A since about 6 years. My sons and I have put around 50,000 rounds through it and had two problems; once the firing pin broke and once the hook of the sight rib broke off. S&W sent me both parts under their warranty.
To be honest, I had not expected the gun to last that long, I got it barely used for $125 plus tax in a pawnshop.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
By ammo sensitive do you mean it won't  shoot target loads well? Do you have to feed it high vel ammo?

My experience (I paid $200) is the 22A is EXTREMELY ammo sensitive.  Mine will ONLY shoot Remington golden bulk ammo or it has at least 5 failures (of every possible description) in a ten round mag.  It shoots the Remington reliably, but finicky guns are a royal pain (what if they are out of THE ammo?).  If I were to do it over again I would spend a few more dollars on a Ruger or Browning and save myself the aggravation.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#6]
'm not sure if the 22A is S&W's version of the Walther P22 but...

My P22 is pretty picky on ammo.

I found that if you use CCI minimags with the round nose it shoots every one reliably and accurately.

it's kind of a drag it only shoots round nose 22. I haven't found a good cheaper alternative yet but I suspect it will work better with lower velocity 22 as the recoil spring breaks in. It is less than 1000 rds old because minimags are 10X more expensive than the Rem Viper Hi velocity I shoot out of my Ruger Mk2.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes. It doesent like target loads very much. We use hi vel loads when we go shooting. Well I load she shoots.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
They're ok little .22s, nothing exotic, IMO. While I love my S&W 41, I would (and did) opt for a Browning Buckmark in the $200 range .22 handgun.

My .o2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top