Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 1:17:48 PM EDT
I have a revolver S&W Mod 19-7,it has a 2-1/2" barrel. I know that for accuracy I would be looking for a four to six inch barrel,but thats neither here nor there,2-1/2" is what I have.The gun is pretty much set up stock for shooting big objects. What can I get to help accuracy for shooting smaller objects ,like say a rat,at 15-20 yards? Most of what I will need is practice,but I am looking for better sights,or small scope, to start practice.What are your suggestions?Thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, shot loads will do the trick, but probably not at that distance. You are trying to make your tool do  a job it was never intended for...you would never try and drive nails with a hammer, would you?

Actually, if you are very good, the stock sights will get the job done, use .38 wadcutters and a solid rest.

Optical sights on a 2 1/2" M 19?.................. Please!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Well my problem is I have to set my gun up so I can sight in using the very top of the front sight.Dont know if thats correct,but I can't see past the front sight.Anything smaller than a fifty cent piece at 15 yards,I cant see .The front sight is to wide,it is also a fixed front site.The only one that removeable is the back.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well my problem is I have to set my gun up so I can sight in using the very top of the front sight.Dont know if thats correct,but I can't see past the front sight.Anything smaller than a fifty cent piece at 15 yards,I cant see .The front sight is to wide,it is also a fixed front site.The only one that removeable is the back.

If there is enough adjustment in the rear elevation screw...and this will depend on the gun, the ammo and the range, you can easily resight it in for a "six o'clock" hold as many bullseye target shooters do. This means that you will place the tip of the front sight at the bottom of the target...on a standard black and white bullseye the clearest definition is the edge of the black...the bottom because who would prefer the side" ???Hah! The bullet will impact above the sight hold...how far above depends on how you adjust the sights, the range, the ammo, etc. Six o'clock sight hold sucks, however, for serious pistol use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top