Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 12:51:28 AM EDT
Not on whether or not I should get a Sigma, already got one.  Works fine for me, but then again it's pretty recent.

I was just curious as to whether or not anyone knows if it can handle +p or +p+ loads.

I asked S&W customer support, they said "standard ammo only".  Not sure if I can trust them though, seeing as how they'll probably say anything to avoid possible liability.

Or, if anyone knows of any good sites I can check out on the subject, that'd be appreciated too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:44:54 AM EDT
I'd recomend you avoid using any +P(+) ammo in it.

If you can't resist doing it... well, it's not S&Ws fault.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:45:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/11/2005 10:04:22 AM EDT by _DR]
I send my Sigma 9mm back to S&W - what a P.O.S.  jam-o-Matic. No way I would trust it with +P.

They sent me back a new S&W 908. That has been a great little pistol, +P no problems.

IMO the S&W Sigma line is an abortion.

ETA: Talking about the Early Sigmas, never had one of the later ones.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:38:22 PM EDT
I would avoid it.  My own experience with the Sigma (first generation) isn't great.

What cal are you using?  I'm curious what you have to gain by using a +P load.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:56:44 PM EDT
My Sigma 40VE handles anything I throw at it!  If you want to post this question on www.smith-wessonforum.com for a complete answer.  

Everything I have read on the forum says yes it can handle +P ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:34:46 PM EDT
Thanks for all the replies.

I've also got a SW40VE, and it's a .40.  It's not that I have a hell of a lot to gain, I'd just like the option, and should I decide to use +p, well shit, every little bit helps.  I know for a fact I won't be using any any time soon, but hey.  Just curious.

From what I can tell, there's a vast difference between earlier sigmas and the new ones.  At least, from what I've heard.  I haven't put more than 300 rounds through it so far yet, though, so I wouldn't expect it to fail a lot at this point.

I'll copy/paste this post to that forum to see what they say, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:46:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/10/2005 6:47:08 PM EDT by _DR]

Originally Posted By Darx:
Thanks for all the replies.

I've also got a SW40VE, and it's a .40.  It's not that I have a hell of a lot to gain, I'd just like the option, and should I decide to use +p, well shit, every little bit helps.  I know for a fact I won't be using any any time soon, but hey.  Just curious.

From what I can tell, there's a vast difference between earlier sigmas and the new ones.  At least, from what I've heard.  I haven't put more than 300 rounds through it so far yet, though, so I wouldn't expect it to fail a lot at this point.

I'll copy/paste this post to that forum to see what they say, thanks.

FWIW my Sigma was one of the first ones that was discontinued, SW9M.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:59:07 PM EDT
Would you run a supercharger on a Hyundai?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:24:47 PM EDT
Thanks for being constructive.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:18:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Darx:
Thanks for being constructive.

Well YOU were the one asking for us to refute the manufacturers recommendation for ammo, or find a source that would.

"Ask a silly question" and all that.  Sigmas tend to have enough issues with standard pressure ammunition, but if you want to hold a poorly made gun at arms length and fire out-of-spec ammo, I'll hold your beer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:18:36 PM EDT
I TOO HAD A FIRST GENERATION SMEGMA.NUFF SAID.  

SMEGMILLION,SMEGMA,SPUDJAMA   "A ROSE IS A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME"
Top Top