Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 9:59:30 PM EDT
Picked this one up from my FFL today. Gunbroker buy, with target hammer and trigger. Red insert front and white outline rear sight. The grips that came on it were slathered with some kind of lacquer or shellac type finish, thick enough that it dripped. I will be stripping that off and refinishing them. I had a set of Culina smooth cokes in American Holly that it will be wearing.

As received

With a wipe down and new grips.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.

Do you feel lucky?  Well, do you? 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice.

Do you feel lucky?  Well, do you? 
View Quote
With the original grips it reminds me of Jack's revolver that was stolen early in "48 Hours".
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Agree - very nice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Picked this one up from my FFL today. Gunbroker buy, with target hammer and trigger. Red insert front and white outline rear sight. The grips that came on it were slathered with some kind of lacquer or shellac type finish, thick enough that it dripped. I will be stripping that off and refinishing them. I had a set of Culina smooth cokes in American Holly that it will be wearing.

As received

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/M29-3b_zpsglbicowz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/M29-3CulinaS_zpsxnnerott.jpg
View Quote

Stock checkered grips are Goncalo Alves. Smooth grips are Rose Wood.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As received

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/M29-3b_zpsglbicowz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/M29-3CulinaS_zpsxnnerott.jpg
View Quote
Elephant ivory or mammoth?  Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I want that gun!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how tough/thick the skin on your trigger finger is, but I replaced my "target trigger" with a smooth trigger not long after I got mine.

Between the 4" barrel and the 240 grain bullets the recoil was enough to start eating the skin off my right trigger finger.

I have Colt, Ruger, S&W and Dan Wesson revolvers.

Nothing is as smooth as an nice N-frame S&W.  Nothing.

Good luck with it, have fun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is actually wood, american holly. The Culina's said that it is only able to be worked in the winter time, otherwise it can get a kind of mold growing in the grain that leaves dark spots throughout it. It turned out extremely nice.

Quoted:
I don't know how tough/thick the skin on your trigger finger is, but I replaced my "target trigger" with a smooth trigger not long after I got mine.

Good luck with it, have fun.
I plan to shoot only .44 Special through it as I have no need to shoot magnums.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I plan to shoot only .44 Special through it as I have no need to shoot magnums.
View Quote
Just to satisfy my morbid curiosity I have to ask, if you're only going to shoot .44 Specials, why not just buy a .44 Special? (Smaller frame, lighter revolver)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks great John!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just to satisfy my morbid curiosity I have to ask, if you're only going to shoot .44 Specials, why not just buy a .44 Special? (Smaller frame, lighter revolver)
View Quote
I like heavy barrels. Just like I buy Model 19's instead of Model 15's. I prefer the feel and balance of the heavier 4inch barreled K and N frame S&W's.

I will probably buy a box of magnums and shoot a few, just not many.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like heavy barrels. Just like I buy Model 19's instead of Model 15's. I prefer the feel and balance of the heavier 4inch barreled K and N frame S&W's.

I will probably buy a box of magnums and shoot a few, just not many.
View Quote
 That makes total sense!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a 29-2,  .44mag was not.the most comfortable round to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a 4inch M29 back in the '90s. Recoil was stout, but not painful. I rarely shot more than half a box at a time though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Had a 29-2,  .44mag was not.the most comfortable round to shoot.
View Quote
Shot 100 rounds of UMC180 grn in a day one time

Was typing at my keyboard later and was wondering why my right hand was shaking.

Good grip work out.   I tend to shoot single action one handed old fashioned off hand target style with a nice straight inline forearm grip.    Winds up breaking the recoil straight up but man I have pulled some nice 25 yard groups.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Hand fatigue sets in real quick with the bigger bore pistols.

I usually get them out only after I've done most of my shooting for accuracy with the little stuff.

It's decent simulator for stress shooting with your carry gun after you're ripped off 50-100 rounds though!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I too, like the look of the heavier barrels. Many years ago I scored a Model 29 no-dash (shipped in 1960) at a gun store near where I lived. I shoot mostly .44 Special powered handloads through it and it is not punishing at all. Since I don't hunt, I see no reason to beat my hands to death shooting full power magnums. This gun has been carried a bunch as my main hiking companion, the first two rounds are snake loads followed by four 240grn full power .44 mags.

I got lucky and it still had the original coke bottle stocks on it when I got it although I put different grips on when I am carrying it.

My carry rig, an old Bianchi high ride holster. With this set up I hardly know it's there.

Shown with it's bigger brother, a 6 1/2", 29-2.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice!

My primary 4" M29 is a -2 from the early 70s.

BTW,

Milt Sparks has a new version of their 200AW, a hand carved "Sheridan Style"

In both of these pics, the grips are from Herretts.  

Gotta represent Idaho!

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Speaking of "Bigger Brothers", here is my 6.5" 29-2. It was my first M29 from a long time ago.

I have logged some serious miles in the backcountry of Idaho with this gun.

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I too, like the look of the heavier barrels. Many years ago I scored a Model 29 no-dash (shipped in 1960) at a gun store near where I lived. I shoot mostly .44 Special powered handloads through it and it is not punishing at all. Since I don't hunt, I see no reason to beat my hands to death shooting full power magnums. This gun has been carried a bunch as my main hiking companion, the first two rounds are snake loads followed by four 240grn full power .44 mags.

I got lucky and it still had the original coke bottle stocks on it when I got it although I put different grips on when I am carrying it.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Firearms/Smith-and-Wesson/S-1/i-5FMLxgD/1/79655700/L/IMG_1739-L.jpg

My carry rig, an old Bianchi high ride holster. With this set up I hardly know it's there.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Firearms/Smith-and-Wesson/S-1/i-jNpTR2H/0/8d0b8d60/L/IMG_1889-L.jpg

Shown with it's bigger brother, a 6 1/2", 29-2.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Firearms/Smith-and-Wesson/Sw/i-jkPmkTF/0/093980c9/L/IMG_1853-L.jpg
View Quote
1960is my birth year, your 29 is THE grail gun for me.  I’ve got a couple of Ruger 44s from 1960, still looking for a 29.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top