Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 5:31:22 AM EST
My older S&W model 686 (no dash) has a missing crane screw.
I tried a screw from another Smith model 10 but it didn't wanna go and I didin't want to force it. I wonder if these crane screws are hand fit for each gun?

Can get one for my 686?

Thanks Much
VonBarky
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:57:40 AM EST
The model 10 is a different frame...dunno if that would make a difference. Brownells has factory S&W parts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:07:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/13/2011 3:08:32 PM EST by dfariswheel]
The cylinder retention screw on the older S&W revolvers is a hand fitted part.
Many people mistakenly switch the retention screw with the lower side plate screw. Since they "look" just alike they get the wrong screw in the hole.

The screw is fitted by carefully stoning the end until it just barely misses touching the bottom of the slot in the cylinder yoke.
With the screw tight, you should feel no drag on the yoke, but the end should be almost in contact with the slot bottom.

Any older style "K" frame front side plate screw will fit the threads, but make sure you get a new one so you can fit it to your specific gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:56:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
The cylinder retention screw on the older S&W revolvers is a hand fitted part.
Many people mistakenly switch the retention screw with the lower side plate screw. Since they "look" just alike they get the wrong screw in the hole.

The screw is fitted by carefully stoning the end until it just barely misses touching the bottom of the slot in the cylinder yoke.
With the screw tight, you should feel no drag on the yoke, but the end should be almost in contact with the slot bottom.

Any older style "K" frame front side plate screw will fit the threads, but make sure you get a new one so you can fit it to your specific gun.

Thanks alot, I'll get a few screws. I think I can properly fit one.

VonBarky
Top Top