Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 11:21:05 AM EDT
I will be buying a S&W M&P pistol.  I was think of the .40S&W,  the 9MM or wait for the .45.  This is not going to be a carry gun.
Here is my logic.  I try to keep my calibers down to a manageable number.  I stash and shoot 223, 5.56, 38 Special +P, 357 Mag, 9MM and 22LR.  
I have shot every cal pistol from 22 to S&W 500 and am comfortable with them all.  I would like to stick with 9MM with the M&P but need some advise on the difference in stopping power between the 9MM and .40.  I use Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P and Gold Dot 147grain in my full size 9s and 124 grain 9MM+P Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in my compact 9s.
With the constant inprovements in handgun ammunition will the .40 have a big difference in stopping power over the loads I am now using in 9MMs.  It would be great not having to stock another caliber ammo but I don't want to sacrifice a hugh amount of stopping power.  What do you think? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
um i'll stick to 9mm because because I don't wanna go broke shooting and it can be had everywhere.  oh & last i checked 9mm is plenty to kill.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Overhyped re-worked Sigma.  Saw the guys from S&W on Thursday at a range session for my dept.  Not impressed ....at all.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and like it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Overhyped re-worked Sigma.  Saw the guys from S&W on Thursday at a range session for my dept.  Not impressed ....at all.

And a magazine disconnect for civilian models doesn't make sense either.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it was a reworked Sigma too, until I got to play with one.  I really like the M&P.  From what you've stated, I would stick with the 9mm.  Run decent ammo as you already seem to be doing and it should be fine for defensive purposes.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top