Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 3:02:13 PM EDT
My father is wanting to purchase this and asked if I thought it was a good gun. Personally I know nothing of it and hoped someone on here did. My Mother and Father will be using it, mostly a home defense type gun. Thanks, Eric
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Overall, they are excellent pistols.  They have come a long way since their 1st Generation Sigmas (the "Enhanced" versions are the 3rd Generation).

How old are your parents?  Do they have any problems with their hands, arthritis or anything like that?  The only problem I could see with that would be the heavy trigger pull.  The pull is a DAO at about 12 pounds.

What you may want to think about is a S&W 5906 or 6906.  You can buy used ones fairly inexpensively, and the trigger pull may be better for someone with weaker or arthritic hands.

Here's a link to Mark at Summit Gun Brokers, who has used 6906's for $289 (probably the same price you can buy a new Sigma for).  He's a great guy to deal with, and the 6906 would probably be better suited for your parents.  If you are worred about the magazine capacity (6906 mags hold 12 rounds), you can buy a 59xx Series 15 round mag and use a grip adapter, available from either Brownell's or directly from S&W.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/736225.html

Other than the trigger pull issue, the new Sigmas are excellent pistols.  I've owned or been issued eight of them, and in tens of thousands of rounds between them, I've had only one malfunction.  One FTE in a 1st Generation SW40F that I had over 8000 rounds through.  I've never had a malfunction in an Enhanced Sigma.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I second Hawgleg's suggestion.

I have a SW40VE and 69x6.  Both are good guns and weight about the same but the 69xx is easier to carry and easy shooting.  The SW9VE takes some getting use to due to the harder trigger.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
nice little gun and I agree the trigger pull is a little hard but other then that it is great! I am picking another one up because I like it so much.  For me it feels much better then a glock.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't agree more that a Sigma feels better than a Glock.  And, I wouldn't want to be without one in both 9mm and .40.  Right now, I'm down to a 40G, 9VE and 9GVE.  

When I shoot the 9mm Sigma, it's always been the 9VE.  I haven't even taken the 9GVE out of the case yet.  I should get around to at least test firing it sometime!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top