Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 6:36:04 PM EDT
Considering the purchase of another 9mm handgun. Anyone fire and/or handle the S&W 915? What kind of accuracy can one expect of it?
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Avoid the 915. You'd be better off getting an older 39/59 series S&W for the same money.

If you're hellbent on the 915, I'd say you'd probably be getting 4-6" groups at 25 yards.

Of course, there's huge variables such as shooter ability & ammo compatability to that particular gun.

There's also a bunch of Glock 17 police trade-ins that can be had for $350 or so.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Besides having had two 915s, I remember a gun rag saying that they shoot better that they should, as I found to be the case.
My first one, after installing Millet night sights to get the point of aim zeroed in, would shoot into a playing card at 30 yards.
The original 915 came with one 15 round mag, the later ones came with a 10.
Not to sound overly "pro Smith", 15 round mags can be found easily and parts from any other similar Smith 9 will fit it.
Like Bob said, there are variables but if the price is right, I would do it.
Speaking of variables...my CZ-85 Combat choked on hollowpoints, the Smith didn't, even though the CZ is recognized as the better of the two.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies! I might have to reconsider this option..
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you're contemplating a Wonder-Nine, please consider the CZ-75. It is a much better gun than the Smith, and probably a few pennies cheaper.

Yup-But get a CZ75-b or 1 of the all too confusing iterations.  Mine goes BANG all the Time,,,Hi Caps are relatively cheap and if you get a Compact you still get 10 rounds and they fit the Milt Sparks SSII (with a little creative stretching) which is/was stocked by Brownells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top