Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 5:34:52 AM EDT
I just gave in to a complete impulse buy. Now I also have a S&W Model 908. It just sorta "happened". how,
BTW: I didn't post in the dedicated "Smith & Wesson" forum because I thought it would be less likely I'd get replies concerning potential negative comments.  Us Gun folks, like all enthusiasts, tend to be,  well, enthusiastic, about their particular favorites.  hanks
Tim
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing in particular on this model gun. Since it was used, you may wish to invest in a Wolf spring kit, maybe a lighter mainspring for a bit better trigger pull? Recoil spring should stay the same rating, IMO.

These are decent little beginner guns, maybe a car gun you won't worry too much about getting stolen like you would a H&K or Sig?

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
From the Smith "Value Series".  Essentially a third generation without all the bells and whistles.  

Smith autos tend to generate a lot of comments, many of them negative.  My experience with Smith nines has been positive.  Keep it clean.  Keep it lightly oiled (plain old gun oil, nothing fancy), feed it quality ammo thru good magazines and it will be do everything you require of it.  Many get it a lather over the mag safety but that is way overblown. Some gun writer in the sixties came up with some nonsense about being in a survival situation with a Smith auto and no magazines and the gun would be useless and we would all die whereas if you had a auto without the mag safety all would be well.  Horse hockey.  Nobody seems to get uptight about Browning Hi Powers having mag safeties but Smiths are damned for all eternity for having them.

Ok, that's enough of that rant.  

Good guns.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The 908 is a 3rd generation S&W handgun which can handle +P ammo.  It is a little rougher around the edges than a 3914 but it has an 8 round mag (the number 8 denotes the number of rounds in some lines) just like my 39-2.  Very slim and easy to carry handgun which is very accurate for a handgun and would be some thing I would trust my life with and do every day (First generation 39-2 single stack 9mm).

Don't worry about springs just shoot it!  My 1972 39-2 does not have any problem and is 100% reliable for me!  Your gun is at least 30 years younger than mine and I was looking for a 908 or 910 or 3913 or 3914 when I found mine.  Shoot it in good health...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
This is a brandy new gun. New in box. Never been fired.

This was one of my original choices for "first auto", I went with the Glock G17.
I also have a Glock G26 and G27, a Walther P-22, and a S&W 642. I think the DA/SA will be tough to get used to, but not planning on carrying this gun.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

Tim
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Nobody seems to get uptight about Browning Hi Powers having mag safeties but Smiths are damned for all eternity for having them.

You might want to read some more threads on that, sir. The first thing most folks suggest is removing the HP mag safety. It was what I did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top