Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 11:46:24 AM EDT
I am looking into getting a revolver and my favorite caliber is 45ACP.  I really like the Smith 625-2 and was wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences with them?  I'd be getting the 5" full lug version.

Thanks,
Kev
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#1]
i have one in stainless 5", IT'S AWESOME...

i would highly recommend, im a big S&W revolver fan, and it is my favorite, not only does it do 45acp, you can also put 45super thru it. I would recommend getting a bunch of extra moonclips, and the mooner, and demooner tools, trying to do it by hand can get painful, and distort the clips, i normally just load up a bunch of moons throw them in my range bag, shoot till they are gone and demoon them at home.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Yea, I have seen the moon tools in the Blue Press catalog.  Are some better than others?  

How is the action on yours? Pretty smooth from the factory?  I have shot plenty of revolvers, but not in a while and never owned one.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#3]
   I own a Smith & Wesson 625-2  Model of 1988.   It was the first production run of the 625 series. If I understand correctly only 1800 of -2 version were produced.   They all came from the factory with 5" bbl's all were chambered in .45acp.  

I love mine, rescued it from the dark corner of the used gun display case at a local shop in 1995.
 Accurate,fast reloads, mild recoil and there's something about those big .45 cal. holes in the cylinder that give me wood.

There are several manufacturers of the moonclips including Wilson Combat and these guys

Moon clips

The only downside for me is finding somebody who makes practicle belt pouches to carry the loaded clips in.    there are competition clip carriers but I have yet to find a pouch for everyday carry.   If somebody knows a source please let me know.

Here's few pics of mine:

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The only downside for me is finding somebody who makes practicle belt pouches to carry the loaded clips in.    there are competition clip carriers but I have yet to find a pouch for everyday carry.   If somebody knows a source please let me know.

Great pics!  Thanks.  :)   This guy makes my favorite IWB holster (McDaniel II) and shoulder rig.  His options for the shoulder rig have a piece that carries the moon clips.  He also has some speedloader holders for the belt here.  I would think if you asked him to shorten them to fit moon clips he would do it.  Mr Andrews is one of the most customer friendly people I have dealt with.  I'll be a customer of his for life.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I just purchased a 625,I love it, put 500 rounds throught it in a week!
It's just a cool revolver, you won't be disappointed.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the 625 club!  I have three!  I would suggest you look into RIMZ poly clips for range use, and save the metal ones for serious use.  RIMZ  He has two versions for sale, the 25 version are said to be sturdier? I like mine!

Demooner tools of the nutcracker variety suck! I have broken more then one of the plastic ones, and I even broke a super demooner.  They need to be all aluminum.  This one is the best one.  

The Remooner is a must have

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]

They are good stuff. I'd like to find a 4" version sometime.

I'll second rn22723s recommendation on the demooner, definetely get the screw driver style  Moon Clip Stripper.
I haven't tried a remooner yet though.  Hmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Bigbore45:

Try here: http://www.delfatti.com/

Re: Leather moon clip pouches
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm impressed as all get out with mine. I put on a set of Miculek grips right after I got it. It is one sweet revolver, really, from the factory even. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the good info everyone!  

Is this remooner better/easier than the one that looks like a pen holder off my desk?  

Brownells Moonsetter

Best price I have found for a 625 is $629 and it's in stock... may have it by the end of the week!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I really can not comment on the pliers remooner.   But, the Ca. Comp one does all six rounds at a time!  Pretty darn slick.  I have had it for two years now, and I love it!  I do my remooning while watching tv!

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Picked it up today and love it!  Cannot wait to get to the range and make some loud noises.  I'll post pics later.  Thanks for the advice from everyone.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the S&W 625 model of 1989 with a 4" barrel.

One word to describe it...............SWEET!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
more like SCHWING

Quoted:
I have the S&W 625 model of 1989 with a 4" barrel.

One word to describe it...............SWEET!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#15]
You won't be dissapointed.  A great revolver indeed!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Shot it this weekend!  It's a tack-driver!  Thanks for all the advice, y'all were right.  

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/152/sw_625b_medium.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/152/sw_625a_medium.jpg
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the 625 PC version.  I had to send it to Jerry Miculek for a trigger job because the factory trigger sucked.  It's now the best shooting revolver that I own.  I love this revolver and the moonclips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top