Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 11:46:22 AM EDT
Considering stepping up from my 44 mag.  Leaning towards the 460 but...Looking for others opinions.  Pros/Cons.  What say you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
460 is much more versatile - shoots 460, 454 casull, 45 LC and even 45 ACP (with clips).  500 is the king of the hill if you absolutely must have the maximum caliber and power.  Both are a hoot to shoot, and expensive to feed if you like to shoot the hot loads.  

Cabelas has HSM bulk ammo at reasonable prices.

You can usually find some deals on used guns with low round counts - I've seen lots of cases of buyer's remorse.

They're completely impractical, ridiculously huge, way too heavy (good pun!), and the most fun you'll have short of sex.  My 500 is 91 ounces with the scope unloaded.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's pretty much like a .270 vs. .30-06 debate.  The .460 is theoretically more versatile, but how often do people really take advantage of that?  The .460 also shoots a little flatter, but how many people are really good enough shots to take advantage of that?

I like the .500 better myself, but not for any practical reason.  If I was in the market right now I might well take whichever one came along with the best price.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the .500. I got it before the .460 came out. It is great to play with, but it is essential to load for either one. Ammo is rediculously expensive for either.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the input.  Decisions decisions...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top