Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 1:12:44 PM EDT
I"m looking for a 9mm pistol to match  with my new semi Uzi and have seen some "pre-owned"(read-used, police turn ins) for sale at Kielser's Wholesale for $250. Question is, are these pistols any good?  I know S&W 1st Gens were pretty much junk and the 2nd Gens were hit and miss as far as being any good.  From what little I've read over the years the 3rd Gen autos are suppose to be decent but does anyone have any first hand expirence with one?  I never hear anything good or bad on these forums about them so It's really hard to know if it would be a good deal or a nightmare gun.  They also have some 3953's for the same money, I was thinking about one of those for my wife to replace her M-85 Taurus, that way we'd both have stainless S&W autos in 9mm, that would keep ammo issues down because we'd use the same ammo. Anyway, if any of ya'll have a 3rd.Gen S&W auto let me know what ya' think about it, if it's been a good gun or junk and would you buy another one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
These guns were designed for no problems in operation so their accuracy suffers a bit, IMO. Better than a Ruger though. Mags are cheap for these now so it may be a good buy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I logged 11, 000 rounds through a 6946 without a single malfunction. Shot 600-1000 rounds through without cleanings. I went back to a 5906. The guy that got my 6946 didn't have any issues with it either until he turned it in and got a Glock.
I have cracke d4 frames on Smith's though, two 6906's and 2 5906's we run nato pressure loads for training-and I used to work at the range and had the ammo locker keys.
If you are looking at the 59 series, it's a better shooting gun because of the weight and will be more durable because of the steel frame. I won a new Glock 17 with my 6946.

More than likely that Keisler gun hasn't been shot much, get it and I'm sure it will run well.

We have Glocks now(17) and we like them. My 17 runs well, I'm at about 15K without a single burp!

Mark
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
So basically "no news" on these guns is good news. I like the DAO concept in a semi, there's no transition between single and double action and , for me, that makes it easier to shoot.  I think as soon as I sell one of the two pistols that I've got up for sale I'll order a 5946. Then at a later date pick up the 3953 when the other gun sells. The 3953 should make a dandy CCW gun and the 5946 will be good for a winter CCW/full size gun.  Thanks for the replies guys.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had (4) 5946 and I loved 'em everyone . I currently have a 5906 w/ adj nights sights new and in the box among my sigs and XD'S. I challenge anyone to find a better gun for the money in fact many police dept. tested lots of guns to arrive at the conclusion I stated previously. $250. S&W , 15 +1 capacity ? What are you waitin' on ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If you look back when most PD's were switching, the Smith was the most available pistol out there. Little by little, more are seeing the light.They are generally fine until alot of rounds start going through them. At one point, the QC was the pits, sad when 75 out of 75 have to go back because the barrels and slides are so out of spec that the sights can't be adjusted enough to make it work.
If you look at the whole ball of wax- it's hard to beat a Glock.
By the way if you have a 06 model-check the decocking barrel, more than likely it's cracked. If you can find a blue one replace the stainless part, I've never seen a blued decocking barrel crack-plenty of SS ones though! Get rid of the SS firing pin also if you have one-it will break too

Mark
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you look back when most PD's were switching, the Smith was the most available pistol out there. Little by little, more are seeing the light.They are generally fine until alot of rounds start going through them. At one point, the QC was the pits, sad when 75 out of 75 have to go back because the barrels and slides are so out of spec that the sights can't be adjusted enough to make it work.
If you look at the whole ball of wax- it's hard to beat a Glock.
By the way if you have a 06 model-check the decocking barrel, more than likely it's cracked. If you can find a blue one replace the stainless part, I've never seen a blued decocking barrel crack-plenty of SS ones though! Get rid of the SS firing pin also if you have one-it will break too

Mark

Thanks for the info, I think  it was a 5906 that we had to send back at Caswell's because if safety issues, it was a rental gun and saw thousands of rounds.
 As to what I"m waiting for, MONEY, I need to sell off my M-85 Taurus Ultra-Lite and my 1911a1 that I rebuilt on an Essex frame.  I like the 45 but need to sell it if I want to get something different.  Shoot me an e-mail for info on either gun, maybe we can work a deal so I can pick up one of these Smiths before they're all gone.  Talk to ya'll later.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Frank, I'm not in the market for them, if you aren't going to shoot it much, get the Smith. I would spend the extra and get one of the Glock rebuilds.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#8]

I have a 3953 as one of my CCW guns.  It has never missed a beat.  Comfortable, flat, and fairly light too.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, it's too late, I picked up a Ruger P93DAO today at my local dealers. Got it for $325, it was used but not much. Now to find an SP101 in 9mm for my wife. She likes revolvers so that'll be the best one to go with my gun. That way we'll keep it Ruger and 9mm.  Thanks for the input. Talk to ya'll later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top