Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 3:26:15 PM EST
Watching "Alaska off the grid" where they build cabins in the middle of nowhere and this hunting guide is packing a S&W 329PD with the stock wood grips. Good to know that an AK pro guide thinks enough of it to carry one. Surpised he's not packing a .454, .460, or .500. Guess he doesn't like heavy guns either. But the 329 is just so BRUTAL to shoot... especially with the wood grips. I put the X-frame grips on mine after one outing. It's still uncomfortable to shoot full power loads in, but not the nearly-unbearable recoil that it had before. I pack 305 grain hardcast HSM Bear Loads in mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:24:28 PM EST
Geez I have shot those HSM Bear Loads from my 629 5" and they hurt. That gun is easily twice the weight of a 329PD. Put a helium balloon on one of those than it'll float away.

I ran across an Alaskan Backpacker IV that I'm intrigued with. 329PD frame, 3" barrel, stainless cylinder. It's just a touch heavier than a 329PD with that steel cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:28:31 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hkcavalier:
Geez I have shot those HSM Bear Loads from my 629 5" and they hurt. That gun is easily twice the weight of a 329PD. Put a helium balloon on one of those than it'll float away.

I ran across an Alaskan Backpacker IV that I'm intrigued with. 329PD frame, 3" barrel, stainless cylinder. It's just a touch heavier than a 329PD with that steel cylinder.
View Quote
I was going to buy the Backpacker, but after handling whatever version that was and the 329PD together, I chose the 329 because it was just SO much lighter. And since I bought it for backpacking... I really wanted to save the weight. I already have a Taurus 4" ported M44 that I've been shooting and packing for 15 years. It's a great revolver, but so heavy compared to the 329PD.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:33:37 PM EST
My friend has one. Bought it for an alaska hunt. It's amazingly light and brutal to shoot. I want one!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:23:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By cms81586:
My friend has one. Bought it for an alaska hunt. It's amazingly light and brutal to shoot. I want one!
View Quote
I'm still glad that I bought mine... But unlike as with the rest of my revolvers, pistols, and rifles, I won't be sending a ton of lead downrange over the years with the 329PD. I'll shoot it on occasion to remind myself of the feel, but I've got other revolvers that I can shoot for general skills maintenance -- that don't shatter my wrist bones.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:32:59 PM EST
I like the wood stocks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:52:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Red_Label:

I'm still glad that I bought mine... But unlike as with the rest of my revolvers, pistols, and rifles, I won't be sending a ton of lead downrange over the years with the 329PD. I'll shoot it on occasion to remind myself of the feel, but I've got other revolvers that I can shoot for general skills maintenance -- that don't shatter my wrist bones.
View Quote
Light cowboy action .44 ammo makes the 329 pleasant.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:26:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By JTMcC:
I like the wood stocks.
View Quote
I like the LOOK of them, and even the feel of them. That is... until I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:28:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Light cowboy action .44 ammo makes the 329 pleasant.
View Quote
The first loads that I shot in them were light .44 spcl loads... those gave me a false sense of what it was like to shoot and I didn't know enough to feel impending DOOM.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:06:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/16/2017 6:08:25 AM EST by psegnatelli]
When I had my 329pd I had some Grizzly Cartridge 44special loads, Lead hollow point. I want to say 1100fps. But that was over 10 Years ago.

I shot over 200 rds of 44mag one day. I woke up the next day and my elbow looked like I stuck a grapefruit under the skin.

I loved carrying it, shooting the specials was nice, but i sold it to get something else.

Funny thing I remember. My front sight has a crack across the fiber rod. Tried to shoot it one handed, bull's-eye style, with a 300gr +p buffalo bore hard cast. Made a great shot but I cracked the sight on a light bar over the shooting port during recoil.

I had 454s with less recoil than that pistol

Also had the safety engage twice during shooting. Heavy 44 mags
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:30:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By Red_Label:

I like the LOOK of them, and even the feel of them. That is... until I pull the trigger.
View Quote
I like to shoot with them.
I shoot primarily 240's.
Top Top