Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2009 11:43:12 AM EDT
Hello gents,

About two months ago I picked up a S&W model 22-A 22 caliber pistol.  Blued with a 5 ½ inch slab-sided barrel.  “Neutral” colored frame.  Came with two mags.  On sale for only $209.  

Over the past 8 weeks this little gem has been through well over 2,000 trouble-free rounds.  CCI Mini-mags as well as bulk pack from Remington, Federal and Winchester.  

At the local toy store on Saturday and I spotted another S&W 22-A. This one had a stainless fluted bull barrel with a Hi-Viz orange front sight with a neutral frame.  A really nice looking pistol ! !   Came with three mags and only $260.  Needless to say, she came home with me.

A trip to the local range yesterday with CCI, Remington, Federal and Winchester ammo.  Another 500 trouble free rounds went down range.

Cost-effective, very reliable, more accurate than I can hold –– and FUN to shoot ! ! Really surprised I don’t see more reviews on these gems.

But if you’re looking for a cost-effective reliable 22 pistol, check out the S&W line first.

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
They are decent, very accurate guns. Make sure you don't dry fire them though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I won mine a couple of years ago at a 3-gun match, and it has become my sons' "learn to shoot" gun. Its been pretty reliable, but tends to FTEj with weak Fed bulk pack ammo when it gets hot (more a problem with the ammo than the gun, I suspect). For some reason I had to crank the rear sight all the way down to zero correctly . A bit of grip tape on the slide makes it way easier for little fingers to grip .

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 4" the first month they hit the shelves. Love it. I gave it to my dad as he needed a .22 pistol and I bought a 22 Target with the big azz wood grips. Loved it until my wife took it over. I had to replace it with a model 41 Still take the 22a out in bad weather as the 41 is too purdy to get wet

ETA- I have no idea how many dozens of bulk packs have been through my guns. I kept the .22 target at a range I worked at my old U and shot it daily for hours, so i imagine it's got quite a bit through it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]

I have one same as the OP and had it going on two years,somethings I can pass on to you gents:

The rear sight can be a bit blood hungry,file the edges down.

It has a plastic buffer,shoot the hell out of it and when it starts to act up check the buffer,if it's chewed up replace it the gun comes with a pack of four or five of them and S&W will send you more free if you call and ask for them.

It has the biggest assed sights I have ever seen and if you take the time to put a scope on it it'll shock you how well it shoots,putting ten shots into one hole at twenty yards is easy with the 5 1/2,I suspect the longer barrels can go out to fifty+ yards.

For the money it's a good .22 pistol and I've told others at the shop I bought it at to buy one if they're asking for a .22 pistol when I'm around.

Link Posted: 10/21/2009 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the standard two-tone model and it's been a great, accurate gun.  If only it wasn't so difficult to thread for a suppressor...
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the standard two-tone model and it's been a great, accurate gun.  If only it wasn't so difficult to thread for a suppressor...

Mine is out getting threaded right now, my smith wasn't fazed by it and said it would only cost a little bit more..  We'll see when it's done and paid for.

I really like mine so far.  I got rid of my p22 after the first outing with the 22a, night and day for accuracy at least for me.

A big +1 on the grip taped slide,  big improvement.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy crap am I anxiously awaiting pics!

Quoted:

Mine is out getting threaded right now, my smith wasn't fazed by it and said it would only cost a little bit more..  We'll see when it's done and paid for.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 3:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone else had problems with the mag falling out when you pull the trigger?
Doesn't do it every shot, just way to often.
Sometimes 2-3 times per mag.

Easy fix?
Send it in?

Its a fun gun when it works.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I was trying to get a Beretta Neos but I live in Maryland which means the State Police requires a spend shell casing and apparently despite being headquartered in MD Beretta doesn't seem to ship the Neos with a spend shell casing all the time which is making it difficult to find one. My dealer then suggested a a SW 22A and I've been looking for reviews. I'm glad I came here because all the other reviews I've been reading have been mixed.

I've also been looking at the other 22 target pistols out there like the Buckmark and the Walther SP22 but the SP22 grip is horrible and the Buckmark goes for at least another $100 than the S&W. I've written off the Ruger Mk3 after having one and finding the dis-assembly process far more trouble than it's worth. Maybe I'll say the hell with it and try the S&W 22a.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I just picked one up this year, it's a good shooter and a fun gun. I want to put some optic's on its rail, please school me on optics. Nothing super expensive, just average around $100 or so.

What is that on the camo one in the above pic?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please post a photo when you get it back.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several Ruger pistols, a Neos, had a P-22, and got a Smith 22A.

The Rugers are reworked to be target guns. They have some money invested in them. But, they shoot very well.

The Smith is box stock. Everything is the way it came. $230 plus tax. Can't beat it for the buck. Its a really nice shooting gun. It feels "right" but that is subjective to your hand. The trigger pull is fair. I like the pistol, especially considering the price. Much easier to tear down and clean than the Ruger.

I will buy a Buck Mark, if for no other reason than I have never had one. People like them. They are not cheap by any means. I had a P-22 but let go of it. It has some issues but Smith took good care of it so it wasn't a problem. The real problem with the P-22 is that if you want to do a lot of shooting its small and jumps around. The Smith, Ruger, etc. are full sized and you can run hundreds of rounds through them in a day with no issues.

If I had to pick a gun to last for many many years, the Ruger. Built like a tank. Maybe the Buck Mark too but until I own one for a few years I will have to put that on someone else.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a 22a 2 years ago and could not be happier.  It is the model with the fluted barrel and it even came with 3 mags in the blue plasic case.  At the $230 I paid with case and extra mags how could I go wrong?  My old Challenger (Browing) Mark3 had developed some feeding issues and there seems to be pretty much NO parts for them so it tends to stay in the cabinet.  I bought an IZH35 about 10 years ago and enjoy shooting it a LOT but it too seems to be dead as far as spares go so I don't like taking the chance of hurting it..  Besides, the IZH is already worth more than I paid for it which is better than my 401K can say!

Anyway my 22a has the sights with the "glowie" insert in the front, I like the sight picture of it better than any 22 auto I picked up. The Buckmarks have a similar sight available but the models that have it tend to be the pricier variations on the already more expensive Buckmark.  I kinda liked the NEOS but when I was shopping I could only find them with the blue grips  and I just could not stomach the looks.  Also for what it's worth my 22a has digested every type of ammo I've feed it.  Some day I'll get my Dad's old High Standard but until then I'm happy with my 22a.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Gander Mountain will have SW 22A @ $229 on Black Fri sale.

gander sale
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top