Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:06:50 AM EDT
I have been looking at getting a 22A for some inexpensive range time and was looking at a 5.5" one for $199 which has a black slide and a gray colored frame. The gray frame looks like it is anodized, Is the slide finish blued,anodized or a type of paint ? Does this finish hold up well ? I handled one at the shop and was fairly impressed with it compared to the P22. It has nice heft to it and the materials seem to be of a much higher quality than the walther p22.
Thanks for any info !
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 6:34:09 PM EDT by BobCole]
I can't answer your questions about finish type, but I can tell you that it will hold up. killthewabbit has one & I've shot his many times as well as watched him shoot it. So far I've never seen any blemishes in or on his finish.

Another good option for this price range is the Browning Buckmark.

Personally, I wouldn't own a Walther P-22 if you gave me one. There's way too many horror stories of owners who couldn't make them run. Some of the issues were mag related, but why take the chance, IMO?

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:58:20 PM EDT
BobCole

do you know what your friend uses to clean his 22A ? I've read on a few forums that some of the stronger cleaning products like Hoppes can remove the finish. I mostly use Break Free
or slip 2000. I just want to make sure I use something that won't harm the finish.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:56:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BIG-DOG:
BobCole

do you know what your friend uses to clean his 22A ? I've read on a few forums that some of the stronger cleaning products like Hoppes can remove the finish. I mostly use Break Free or slip 2000. I just want to make sure I use something that won't harm the finish.

Nah, no normal commercial cleaning product will harm a gun's finish, certainly not something as mild as Hoppes #9. My buddy & I both use a product called "Gunzilla", found here. This stuff is used on my Model 41 with no ill effects at all.

Enjoy your gun!
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:33:22 PM EDT
I have a 22A....mine is all black and the finish is definitely some sort of paint on both the frame and slide.

I clean mine with Hoppes and have no problems whatsoever.

It is a fun little pistol that I don't worry about...a great plinker. I put a red dot on it and have a blast shooting acorns, shotgun hulls, etc...

Chris
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 7:59:59 AM EDT
I also have an all black 22a and the finish has held up just fine to all sorts of cleaning agents.

My 22a may not have the fit/finish quality of my dad's Ruger MKII but its great for plinking/field work.
Top Top