Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 8:18:47 PM EDT
Just switched over to CCI minimags on my 22A, and the gun has been functioning much better than when I was running Remington Thunderbolts through it...anyone with this gun have similar problems running certain ammo through it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:30:10 AM EDT
Mine was really picky about ammo. The normal problem was a failure to extract, I'd have to tap the spent casing out with a cleaning rod.
I had more problems with the big bulk packs of .22 ammo regardless of the manufacturer.

mm
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:33:04 AM EDT
Same here, I couldnt run any bulk pack stuff at all. Even minimags were sometimes problematic. I traded it in on a Ruger 22/45 and glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:38:47 PM EDT
I use Remington Golden Bullets. Any copper coated bullet should take care of any feeding or stovepipe problems.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:26:31 PM EDT
I have fired lots of ammo through mine. remington bulk pack and winchester wildcats. both work great. tried some federal the other day. not so good. the federal is copper plated. maybe that had something to do with it. the problem I had was the the pistol slide wouldn't return to battery all the way and I would have to just barely touch it with my finger and it would lock up and fire.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:24:21 AM EDT
Same problem... mine hates Remington bulk packs..

I should have bought a Ruger instead....
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:55:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 3:26:06 PM EDT by wildearp]
I can't imagine any dirtier or more unreliable ammo than the green box thunderbolt..or anything better than Mini Mags.

Does it seem that 20 years ago that almost any brand of rimfire ammo was better than some of the bulk crap today, or do we just shoot a shitload more of it for a larger test group?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:58:44 PM EDT
Mine will only used copper bullets. Anything else and it'll stove pipe or fail to feed 5 or 6 times a magazine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:47:31 PM EDT

I use Remington Golden Bullets.

That's all mine will eat. I bought a brick each of two other brands when I bought it and it would FTE FTF 4-5 times a mag; sour doesn't begin to cover it. It was about to go in the river until I tried the Remington.

I should have bought a Ruger instead....

Without a doubt. Lesson learned.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:47:56 PM EDT
I've never owned a 22A, due to the fact that my friend has one, and it's not very reliable. I have owned a few older .22 S&W autos, Walther P22, three Browning Buckmarks, and a S&W M41. I still have the M41, but wanted something to just go plinking with and I didn't want to damage the finish on my M41. All the other .22 auto's I've had constantly jammed.

So, as soon as the Ruger MKIII became MA Compliant, I picked one up. I can't say enough good about it. That's why I got rid of the Walther P22. If I didn't use "premium" .22's, it was not reliable. I buy a .22 for cheap plinking. I don't want to have to buy more expensive ammo, just to make the pistol function. That's why I ended up with the MKIII. Here's a link to a post I made on another forum about my MKIII experiences. I would highly recommend buying a Ruger if you want something that simply doesn't jam:

http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/002555.html

Regarding the Remington Thunderbolt ammo, it's junk from my experiences. I usually buy the Federal copper coated HP bulk packs at Wal Mart, and have absolutely no problems with them. But, since I happen to be at Dick's one day, I bought the only cheaper .22 ammo they had in stock, the Thunderbolts.

I went to the range with my 6" S&W 617 revolver. After a few hundred rounds, and excellent accuracy to begin with, accuracy suddenly went to hell. I mean BAD! I finally walked all the way up to about 15ft from the target, and the shots were not even all on the paper, and the ones that were actually keyholed!

When I got home, I cleaned out the bore. A piece of lead, about .020" thick x 3/8" long x 1/8" wide fell out of the forcing cone when I ran the bore brush through! I've heard of leading, but that is rediculous. I only had a few hundred left, but they reside at the bottom of the river in my backyard (that's where my pistol range is ).

Last time I needed .22's, Wal-Mart was out of the Federals, so I picked up the bulk pack Remingtons there. But, they are the copper coated HP's, and I've had no problems with them. They are just as accurate, reliable, and clean as the Federals. Nothing like premium ammo like CCI Velociters, Green Label, or something like that, but what do you want for $8, right?
Top Top