Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2005 11:52:04 AM EDT
Looking at 1911s & the S&W model seem ok to me.  I haven't seen any feedback on the S&W 1911s here.  I'd like to hear about quality, accuracy, etc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Check my thread, the longer post on the bottom of the first page, right here in the 1911 forums :)  My initial impressions of the SW1911PD
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I was very impressed at the lack of internal machining marks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one and am very happy with it...it had feeding problems out of the box, but sent it back to smith, who replaced the barrel and recoil spring and had the gone back within a week.  No problems at all since then.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm...seems a lot of people are learning what I have, the SW seems to make a solid 1911.  I have to agree with the "cosmetic" matters regarding the sights, but as long as I can drill a mag into a ragged hole at 15mtrs, I can live with them.  (Rather than having new sights set up, SW apparently is simply using 3rd gen sights on hand which leave the gap...or so I'm told 'cause when I called to see about swapping for night sights, the gent told me to use that reference.)

I have the 1911PD with Scandium in the 4.25.  It's my carry/duty piece and ran almost 3000 rounds through to prove to myself it was a nice piece (I still haven't forgotten SW/Brady history...but I'm getting over it).

I have heard scant reports about earlier feed problems, usually realted to and repaired through the aforementioned barrel/spring swap out.  Seems that was an early on production problem that has been repaired - as was an issue with the grip safety not being installed correctly and allowing firing without gripping weapon.

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a certfied SW armorer...he said they retooled/tweaked beginning '05 and he has not seen a problem since.  If you get an earlier piece and it has problems, SW warantee is one of the best and they will take care of asap.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the SW1911.

Mine hasn't given me one problem. Accurate with every load I've put through it too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a full size stainless and the commander sized scandium. Both are outstanding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top