Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/28/2003 1:33:12 PM EDT
I took my new SW 1911 to the range today for it's maiden voyage. I picked it up as a Christmas present for myself (only $679). For a box stock pistol it shoots great. A five shot group would have all the holes touching.

I had no feeding problems at all, even with 200gr swc's feeding from GI mags. The trigger is very good for a production gun, in the 4.5# range.  The sights weren't quite at point of impact, but that's more of an ammo issue.

I'm going to put in a heavier spring, as the pistol even cycled with 200gr swc's over 4.6gr of WSL.  In my other guns, this requires a 16# or less spring.

The only annoyance is the marking on the frame saying the gun will fire with the mag removed.  I guess that's to moron proof it.

All in all, a very nice pistol, and unlike my SA, no need to go through it just to get it to function.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:52:39 PM EDT
Glad it worked. Make sure the S&W 1911 recall doesn't affect yours. Contact S&W.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:52:37 PM EDT
Mine's not affected by the recall (I checked as soon I a got home from the store).  It's outside the serial # range.  Thanks though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:10:31 AM EDT
Glad to hear you had a positive experience with your S&W1911. I also bought one a few monthes ago and I am completely satisfied with mine. I can't claim a one hole 5 shot group, but it is by far the most accurate pistol I have ever owned.

I was under the impression that these guns come stock with a 16# recoil spring. Is that not true? Should I put a heavier (18#) sping in the gun if I want to shoot +P ammo?

I ordered some 8 round mags from these folks and they have worked flawlessly with everything I have put in them, ball ammo and hollow points. They are very well made with a flat GI style metal follower and removeable floorplate. They are marked Novak but are ~$6 cheaper than the ones on the Novak site.
www.copesdist.com/colt.htm
They are the first ones listed, not the ProMag.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:46:34 AM EDT
I use the heaviest spring that the pistol will cycle reliably with.  You can adjust the spring to a particular load.  

The manufacturer has to compensate for a variety of loads, so they go with a spring that will work with most.  A heavier spring will lessen battering of the frame.  I also use Shok-Buffs, but there are pluses and minuses to them.
Top Top