Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/28/2004 3:33:58 PM EST
Does anyone know anything about these 1911s? The girlfriend wants one because of the "cute" scorpion on the grips.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:52:27 PM EST
Your girlfriend is gun shopping? Does she have a sister? Sorry, I don't know anything about Safari Arms.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:15:24 PM EST
Yup. She thinks anyone who shoots anything smaller than a .45 is a pussy. Including me, of course. She's a treasure... I gave her a Ruger P90, but she couldn't hit the ground if she dropped it. But she shot great with a rented Springfield 1911 Longslide.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:17:51 PM EST
I have seen lots of good stuff come out of there, and some bad stuff too. I think my buddy and his friends got a special deal and raided the seconds bin. Their pistol smiths Neimer and Hadley have excellent reputations for knowing what they are doing. Skip the ones with the ridge on the grip, its a PITA.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:20:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:25:15 PM EST
Aimless, Dave Workman is a local gun writer, and he says he likes them. They only have two guys working on them, I can see how they would be rare.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:35:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 7:37:14 PM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:47:57 PM EST
Damn it... Aimless' girlfriend wants a 1911 too! Mine could care less... I've gotten her skeet lessons, taken her pistol shooting, CCW class, all this pro-gun stuff and still.... nothin.

Where do you find these girls?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:52:27 PM EST
I see some at every gun show. Both at Olys stand and around the tables. Not marked down like its a bad product or anything, so I don't know. My buddy shot one when he worked there and fell in love, and hes got some experience with 1911s, sigs, glocks and such.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:01:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/28/2004 8:01:53 PM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:03:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By wolffie:
Damn it... Aimless' girlfriend wants a 1911 too! Mine could care less... I've gotten her skeet lessons, taken her pistol shooting, CCW class, all this pro-gun stuff and still.... nothin.

Mine went to the same Catholic High School as me, maybe you could check there. Actually I could give a damn if she wanted to shoot or not, I know plenty of people who want to do that.

Jack you need to buy one of those Safari Arms and test it out for us.

Hmmm didn't mean to stick that viking guy in there, oh well it's late

One of these days I am going to have a custom 10mm made, after I get all my rifles done. hi cap and all that jazz. I'll probably have Mike Hadley assemble it, I hear he does that kind of work too, very well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:07:28 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:09:45 PM EST

Get a single stack, easier to carry Kimber may be adding a 10 to the line up permanently.

I dont carry, and I want some of those 27 round magazines

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:16:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By wolffie:

Mine went to the same Catholic High School as me, maybe you could check there.

Uh..... I don't know how to respond to that....

"And in tonights headline news, a 26 year old North Carolina man was arrested nearby a catholic highschool in NY.... ... One eye witness reports that the man was asking girls if they'd 'like to go shooting with him,' it is not known at this time what the man meant by this... "
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:26:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:40:52 AM EST
Aimless, junkpicker had a Safari .45, and sold it to a friend of his who occasionally shoots with us. It shoots OK, I believe...no issues.

I shot one several years ago at a rental range in PA. Shot fine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:31:10 PM EST
At this time I believe tha all the Safari Arms guns are essentially hand built by a couple of very experienced smiths so not a lot of production. Most of what is produced is exported to Europe according to their guys at the WAC gun shows. I have used their components to build a couple of custom longslides and have been pleased, fully the equal of anything out there IMHO. They are probably more common here in WA and have a good rep.
Bob
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:00:23 PM EST
The girlfriend saw my post about not being able to hit anything with the Ruger and proceeded to beat me soudly. Couldn't deny it, though. I think I'll try to talk her into a Springfield.

Now she wants one of those god-awful pink ARs. Did I mention she wants to put pink grips on the 1911? It's OK if it helps her enjoy shooting, but I feel like I should apologize to the gun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:15:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2004 3:15:50 PM EST by Combat_Jack]

Originally Posted By hd_pancho:
The girlfriend saw my post about not being able to hit anything with the Ruger and proceeded to beat me soudly. Couldn't deny it, though. I think I'll try to talk her into a Springfield.

Now she wants one of those god-awful pink ARs. Did I mention she wants to put pink grips on the 1911? It's OK if it helps her enjoy shooting, but I feel like I should apologize to the gun.

I liked the pink AR thread. Some of the pictures in there were......beautiful...
Top Top