Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 9:08:20 AM EDT
Hello one and all,

Ohio went “shall issue” in April of 2004 and since that time I have carried my little Glock 26, or my Glock 19, or even my Sig 225 (all loaded with Remington Golden Saber 124+P HP’s) as my primary CCW weapon.

Even though all three of these pistols work very well, I have often desired a nice, lightweight, RELIABLE 45 auto for carry purposes.  

I’ve had a love affair with the good old 1911 for the past 20 years or so (currently own five)–  so I began my search for my new  “winter” carry pistol.

Pistol would have to be a “lightweight”, have a barrel length no shorter than 4 inches (had a bad experience with a short barreled 45 before), full size frame, and would have to be 110% RELIABLE !

After reading several positive reviews on the new S&W pistols in the 1911 format I decided to stop by the local toy store to see what was in stock.

Several S&W 1911’s were in stock that day (and all were on sale -- $100 off  ! ) and I decided on the Model 1911PD – alloy frame 45 in the “Commander” configuration.  Matte blue finish, 4 ¼” barrel, extended thumb safety and mag release, and Novak sights.   Pistol was packed in the blue plastic box, along with two “ACT” 8 rounds mags, cable lock, and etc.  

Cleaned and lubed the pistol and then off to the range.  First day I ran over 300 rounds through  this new pistol and experienced ZERO problems  !    Not one single “hick-up” from the get-go  !    I was one happy camper, to say the least.  The following day I fired another 200 rounds and again – ZERO problems  !  

Ammo consisted of 100 rounds of W-W “white box” 230 HP’s, 100 rounds of W-W “ball ammo, 100 rounds of Wolf STEEL CASE “Ball” (blasphemy  ! !) and a mix of 200 rounds of my SWC and LRN handloads.  Used an assortment of nine different mags;  Wilson (my favorite  ! ), ACT, Colt, and McCormick.  Every type of ammo was used in each of these mags, and again – ZERO problems ! !

Off-hand it was easy to hold 2 inch groups at 15 yards (I see no need to “bench” a defensive pistol) and bowling pins at 50 yards was easy to do if I did my part.  I was truly amazed on how well this pistol handled also.  I also have a steel frame Commander, and when shot side-by-side there was not really a big difference between the two.  The S&W has a “beavertail” grip safety which spreds-out the recoil and that really helps, but the only thing I really noticed was a little more muzzle flip on the alloy frame compared to the steel frame.  Believe me – ANYONE can learn to shoot an alloy-frame 45  !

Only two SMALL complaints:  grips screws work themselves loose (“blue” Loc-Tite to the rescue ! ) and I really don’t care for the full-length guide rod, but I’ll learn to live with it.  

Overall I am extremely impressed with the reliability and quality of my new pistol.  “Fit and finish” are excellent and the reliability is 110%.

1911 model, 45 caliber, light-weight, 4 ¼ inch barrel, 110% reliable . . .

just what I was looking for . . . . . .
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the 5" model and I love it.  Best shooting 1911 I have every held, and the only one I didn't have to spend at least $100 bucks on just to get it to work....

When I bought mine, my dealer didn't have an alloy frame to look at, or I may have went that way.

Shoot and enjoy......
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
its my favorite gun to shoot  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top