Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 12:35:37 PM EST
In the last month I have seen two, yes two, S & W Model 10-5, five inch barrel, nickel finish, stamped "Detroit Police" on the back strap, along with a number. Ended up buying one of them. Grips were a bit the worse for wear the the metal was amazingly nice. A couple storage dings but no obvious holster wear, no bolt stop marks on the cylinder, and no scuffing in the front of the cylinder. If I didn't know better I'd say it was unfired.

Was this just a fluke or have a bunch of these been released? Any idea how long ago Detroit PD used five inch model 10's?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:36:39 PM EST
I'm purely guessing but I'd say these guns weren't in the used system very long. I'd say 3-6 months, max. Some LE depts still allow .38s to be issued, officer's choice. Nashville still does, I know.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was yours?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:46:44 PM EST
$225

About the going rate from Model 10's in these parts. $200 to $250.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:15:26 PM EST
Be sure to visit KY Imports, they sell a lot of police trade-ins.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:27:57 PM EST
Here in Iowa anyway the police trade ins are getting scarce. And alot of what you do see is pretty rough, some of it coming from overseas, or so I'm told. Seeing a fair number of auto trade ins - Sig's, Glocks, and Smiths mostly. But not much in wheel guns.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:48:56 PM EST
Could very well be we're seeing the end of the great buys in police trade-ins. Even small town depts seem to be all semi's, I bet they allow officers to buy their own. Personally, I'd almost take a .357 over most semi's if I were a cop but not a .38spl over a semi.
Top Top