Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 4/7/2016 8:44:08 PM EST
Hi all,

I just picked up a 586 no dash in nickle yesterday. It seems to have the original Pachmyar grips on it but they have become hard and have several chunks missing out of them. I saw a 686 today with a new "hogue style" grip on them with the SW logo. These were NOT Hogue grips but looked and felt alot like them with the exception that the finger grooves were not as aggressive.

Any ideas where I could get a set of these?

Also, what are some things I should look for on the pistol?

I read there was a recall but, the article did not say what it was for or if it was still available.

thnx!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:26:26 PM EST
586's early on were supplied with wood grips not rubber. The S&W web site or hogue directly should be able to get grips if you want rubber
I would go wood my self.
Some early 586's were recalled because primer flow with magnum loads could lock up the gun. Try the gun with your ammo of choice if you have no issues do not concern yourself with the recoil
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:19:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/7/2016 10:22:04 PM EST by SteelonSteel]
yep, I highly doubt it came with factory rubber but hell with S&W you never know. Their variations had variations.

Heck you can order from anyplace, You're looking for L frame grips. Midway, Grafs, Brownells, your corner gun store.

ETA- A call into S&W and they'll look up your sn and tell you if it was done. Either than or have you look for a stamping that the modification was done. I forget what the stamp was and where it was applied. Most likely something under the crane.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:27:10 AM EST
Thnx all
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:56:37 AM EST
I bought a 586 and a 686 in the fall of 1981 or 82 (been a few years). Both had wood grips on them. The big grips, not the little skinny K frame grips. By the way, the L frame and K frame are supposed to have the same grip frame size, so K frame grips should fit your 586.

Our department bought 686's in 1983 or 84. Half of them had to go back to a S&W repair center to have the firing pin nose bushings replaced. The hole was too large and the 125 grain hollow points we carried would sometimes (2 or 3 out of 6 shots) lock up the cylinder when the pressure forced the primer metal to flow back into the firing pin hole. No issue with 158's, we tried several brands but the Chief was pretty stuck on the 125's (me, too, based on Kentucky SP testing/carry results).

They are great revolvers. I still have both of mine. The 586 is the second best shooting revolver I've ever shot. Only a buddy's S&W M14 ever shot better groups for me.

Not sure what yours will have, but for info, my 586 has the white outline rear sight and red insert in the front sight. The 686 has a plain black rear sight with red insert in the front sight. No idea why S&W would put a plain rear sight blade in one and white outline in the other, but they did. So both were in use back then.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:07:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2016 7:07:39 AM EST by mike_nds]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:37:48 AM EST
Op has likely worked this out but I believe most if not all of the 586's had the square butt frame and need grips for square butt.

All of the current 686's are round butt and have been for some time.

The modern Houge griops will work fine if you match grip to grip shape but I don't believe any of the aftermarket grips will have the S&W logo if that is what the OP is after.
Might be available directly from S&W

I believe the rubber grips offered by S&W were actually made by Houge
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:10:55 PM EST
I have a set of Hogue's that came off my 586. Yours free if you pay shipping. PM me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:10:53 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By freqlord98:
I have a set of Hogue's that came off my 586. Yours free if you pay shipping. PM me.
View Quote

PM sent with my phone number, got off duty at 0500.

Thnx a ton! I will gladly cover shipping,
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:24:28 AM EST
Great pick up. When you open the cylinder is there an M stamped in the recess? If so the gun has been upgraded to fix the recall it had in the 80's.

Look for cutting into the frame above the cylinder at the upper corner just above the barrel. Some guns have fired so many magnums they weaken the frame but cutting a bit of the frame.

These are great guns with good triggers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:15:20 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:...Heck you can order from anyplace, You're looking for L frame grips. Midway, Grafs, Brownells, your corner gun store...
View Quote

L-frame and K-frame = same grips, just in case you find some marked "K" but not "L" when shopping.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 1:53:57 PM EST
Thank you for the info. Opens up grip options a bit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 2:48:02 PM EST
Called SW today, my gun has the modification.

"MOD" denotes the modification having been done. Also dated the Mfg year to 1980.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:05:09 AM EST
I have the same 586 made about the same time, funny thing is I bought it as a 686 and for a lot of years thought it was a SS 686. Even though I have a couple other classic S&Ws it will be one of the very last to go. I wouldn't be surprised if I have over 25K rounds through it, more than half are probably 148 Gr HBWCs that are very easy on it and very accurate.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:24:02 PM EST
Picked up 586 6" (no dash) back in the early 80's - came with the pinned high front partridge sight for neck hold shooting in PPC. Swapped out the front sight for a low partridge sight and have enjoyed it ever since. Shoots very well with HBWC 38's but really starts to shine with .358 160gr lrn loaded in 357 cases with 5 grains of Unique - basically 1 hole groups at 25 yards. Smoothed up the already decent action and shot this gun for years in PPC , NRA Action Pistol and even some Steel Challenge matches. Several times had to move to the far side of the shooting lines to keep the snobs happy who were shooting 'puffer' loads - they often accused me of shooting magnum loads and was upsetting their concentration, but I didn't care. I was enjoying myself and oftentimes beating a lot of them with their heavy barreled 'superguns'.

Still take it out to the range a lot and still my favorite shooter - find that after running a couple hundred rounds through it in DA mode, I can really bear down and shoot my autos even more accurately - great trigger control practice.

Took my new son-in-law to the range with it and he fell in love with the balance, accuracy and handling - fine young man and someday it'll be his to enjoy.

Bird
Top Top