Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/21/2005 12:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 12:45:03 PM EDT by wolffie]
Alright, I'm looking to buy an ESP gun for IDPA. A 9mm 1911 and I think I've narrowed it down to two options.

On one hand, you've got the STI Trojan. I'm assuming that since this is such a high end gun, I'll probably get a better barrel fit, and slide to frame fit than with the springfield. (Since I'll be ordering the gun, this is a gamble either way, I could get a good springfield or a bad STI) On the other hand, I don't like the looks of the STI slide serrations on the frame and it'll be about 200 bucks more.

Neither gun will come stock with a mag well or arched MSH so that will have to be addressed when the gun gets here.

The springfield is stainless, and has the only magazines that are reliable in a 9mm 1911. If I buy the springfield, I'll have a coupon to buy a bunch of magazines at a discounted price saving about half of what I'd pay at brownells. The fine cut slide serrations are better looking, and the gun is significantly cheaper.

Does anyone have any experience with either? Am I going to get a better slide, frame, and barrel fit with the sti? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Are there other options out there that I'm overlooking, short of a full house custom gun?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:50:22 PM EDT
Just one question,
If you are wanting a IDPA/IPSC gun, why in 9mm ?

To my understanding that is minor PF, and thus hard to
hard to compete with the majior PF.

Just my $.02

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:15:16 PM EDT
Other options? I bought a NIB Colt 1991A1 in 9mm for about $750 on gunbroker. I then bought four mecgar mags from Arizona Gun Runners and have not had one fail to fee/fire.

But if I couldn't find a Colt, I would get an STI, providing you don't mind the extra $$$.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:20:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 2:26:40 PM EDT by wolffie]

Originally Posted By scottfn308:
Just one question,
If you are wanting a IDPA/IPSC gun, why in 9mm ?

To my understanding that is minor PF, and thus hard to
hard to compete with the majior PF.

Just my $.02

Not IPSC, IDPA. It's for an ESP gun, enhanced service pistol is for single action handguns of minor power factor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:25:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SilverState:
Other options? I bought a NIB Colt 1991A1 in 9mm for about $750 on gunbroker. I then bought four mecgar mags from Arizona Gun Runners and have not had one fail to fee/fire.

But if I couldn't find a Colt, I would get an STI, providing you don't mind the extra $$$.

The colt 1991A1 would require a beavertail, as well as an arched MSH, Mag well, and new grips. And I'd probably replace the sights. The other two options will require fewer additions to get in the running. And, the springfields can be had for less than 750 used, around that price new.

Springfield armory finally solved the problem of 9mm bullets nose diving and jamming in 1911s by putting a v-shaped groove in the front of the magazines that stops just shy of the top. It prevents the top bullet from dipping down when it's being stripped from the stack. I believe Metalform makes the magazines for springfield, but I may be wrong. It could be mecgar. Do yours have the groove?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:32:35 PM EDT
the mecgars have v-shaped grooves near the front of the mags that run the length of the mags

however, I have had no problems with the Colt mags; they have the same grooves
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:37:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2005 2:38:35 PM EDT by wolffie]
The groove I speak of is on the front curvature of the magazine running from the basepad almost to the top. There are many traditional 9mm magazines that work quite well, but the downfall of 9mm 1911's is that they have a tradition of magazine related feed problems. If your's work well, than I'm certainly glad to hear it. I'll still want to keep with the springfield metalform system. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:43:35 PM EDT
My 9mm 1911 is a Springfield slide on a Caspian frame. I found the complete Springfield top end on Gunbroker and had it assembled. I've used Colt, Metalform and Kimber magazines. I like the Kimbers the best. They function perfectly and are drilled for base pads. IMHO, get the Springfield. Spend the extra money on mags, magwell or ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:10:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By reinhardt:
My 9mm 1911 is a Springfield slide on a Caspian frame. I found the complete Springfield top end on Gunbroker and had it assembled. I've used Colt, Metalform and Kimber magazines. I like the Kimbers the best. They function perfectly and are drilled for base pads. IMHO, get the Springfield. Spend the extra money on mags, magwell or ammo.

Thanks, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I think I may speak to a local gunsmith who's done a lot of work on both.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:04:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/28/2005 3:05:43 PM EDT by wolffie]
FWIW, The springfield won. I picked it up for $710. I spoke with two local smiths who suggested I go with the springfield. And, now that I've seen it, I think I'm glad I made the choice that I did. A buddy and I both ordered the guns, and one was sent back as unacceptable. A phone call was made to springfield, and the next day when the UPS guy came to pick up the unacceptable gun, he dropped off a new one. Good save on Springfield's part. The fit of both guns is very good for a production gun, and the trigger came surprisingly nice. The finish is free of toolmarks externally, though there's a bit of noise inside the slide. It'll be a while before I mess with it. After playing with it a little at the range, I've come to wonder why I didn't buy one of these things a long time ago. No problems feeding it at all, VERY soft shooting and hit POA out of the box. Very nice. I ran a couple of boxes of Wichester NATO spec through it, and there was no appreciable muzzle rise while it knocked down the poppers with authority. It also fed soft reloads without a hitch as well. The only thing I don't like is that the pin on the slide stop looks like one big casting defect.

I'm incredibly excited, and very happy with this gun. This is my first springfield, it thus far I would say it's as well made as the Colt and Kimber I've already got. Time will tell. I will be shooting an IDPA match with +P ammo this week, just to see how it goes. Should be fun.
Top Top