Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 1:36:36 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2015 1:37:26 AM EST by Marksman14]
I've wanted a nice double stack 9mm 1911 for quite some time, but the only way I can justify the expenditure is if I can use it as a duty firearm. The model I am looking at can be seen here.

Are these ready to go out of the box? Am I going to have to contend with tuning magazines? Any part swaps that need to be done right off the bat for serious use?

And of course.......will a set of trijicon HD sights drop into these without issue? I much prefer them for duty use.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:59:22 PM EST
9mm doublestacks tend to run better than .40 and .45. That one should largely be ready to go. I've never needed to tune a stock STI magazine. Where that usually applies if you're using an aftermarket follower and basepad to squeeze the maximum amount of rounds into the tube.

I have had a fair amount of trouble with STI's slide stops not locking back consistently when the gun is new. I attribute this to an overly long slide stop which exerts more tension on the plunger than an aftermarket slide stop would. So if you run into this, a Wilson slide stop should fix you up.

For duty use, I would yank off the magwell and go with 126mm length mags which will fit flush with the plastic grip. You get 17+1 in 9mm with the 126mm mags. I wouldn't want that huge magwell banging into doors and walls all day long.

I believe that one also comes with a Recoilmaster, which is STI's proprietary sort-of-captured recoil spring guide. Lots of folks yank them out and replace with standard 1911 guiderods, plugs and springs. I wouldn't bother unless it causes demonstrable problems.

The front sight uses the STI/Heinie cut, .300"x.060"x60º. The rear is basically a Novak Lo-mount cut. I doubt you can get Trijicon HD sights in such a format. However, a decent smith could recut the HD Novak front (.330"x.075x65º) to fit the STI dovetail.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:14:54 AM EST
I'd be more worried about a holster for duty use. Which model are you looking at holster wise? (and does it come in left hand? )
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 5:26:31 AM EST
Hopefully I don't get banned from this thread for saying this but you might want to look at the Sig X-5 Tactical in 9mm. Double stack, SAO, thumb safety, works out of the box without tweaking, cheaper than a 2011.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:26:48 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cjones124:
Hopefully I don't get banned from this thread for saying this but you might want to look at the Sig X-5 Tactical in 9mm. Double stack, SAO, thumb safety, works out of the box without tweaking, cheaper than a 2011.
View Quote

Kind of off-topic, but they aren't really any cheaper that I've seen, especially now that they are no longer imported.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 2:49:17 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sixpakastan:
I'd be more worried about a holster for duty use. Which model are you looking at holster wise? (and does it come in left hand? )
View Quote

Id run it with a light, so theoretically I think any safariland holster for one with a light would work just fine. They don't taper down thinner than the width of the slide before the cutout for the light starts, so I think I'd be good.

I like the safariland level 1 ALS duty holsters. Not sure what the model number is.
Top Top