Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2013 5:05:32 PM EST
Building my first 1911 and gathering all the pieces. Gonna be built on a Caspian frame & slide.

I want to use the squared STI hammer, and sll the reviews I have read say that it eorks well with STI internals, but doesnt play nice with other companies parts.

Since I like the STI hammer & STI trigger, I figured I'd try the STI disconnector & sear to round out the pack, hoping that all the parts from one company should work okay.

But, there's a catch. This gun is going to be a carry gun and needs to be 100% reliable and I want top notch parts. I dont want to skimp for looks.

So my question is this. Are the STI parts up to the chsllenge? Or is my time / money better spent elsewhere?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:12:58 PM EST
The hammer and sear are good. Maybe not the absolute best you can buy, but there are a lot of competitors putting a lot of miles on their STIs with factory lockwork.

Their safeties and slide stops are kind of MIM/meh but are priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:18:34 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
The hammer and sear are good. Maybe not the absolute best you can buy, but there are a lot of competitors putting a lot of miles on their STIs with factory lockwork.

Their safeties and slide stops are kind of MIM/meh but are priced accordingly.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. Thumb safety will be an EGW HD unit, single sided, and slide stop will be the 10-8 Performance Gen 2 slide stop.

The parts I am asking about from STI would be specifically the sear, disconnector, hammer & trigger.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:31:30 PM EST
The trigger is an excellent unit. Very light, which helps in getting a light pull. I wouldn't have any qualms about using any of those parts for a heavy duty build.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:43:48 PM EST
I'd say the FCG parts are good enough quality, but your gun plummin' skillz are going to be the determining factor in reliability.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:35:45 AM EST
Thanks allot guys. This is the hammer I want to use:

The bulk of the hand fitting will be done by a local shop known for 1911 builds. I will do some of the stuff like the grips, MSH, sights etc, but the main workings (FCG, Barrel fitting, safeties) will be done by them as I don't trust myself.

I did have them work another one of my 1911's, where they sourced the parts. They went with the polymer STI trigger, and I think the internals / hammer are a C&S unit. Very nice trigger on it now. They replaced all the factory stuff inside.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:46:57 AM EST
sti hammer is pretty good. The Extreme Engineering is better
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:11:05 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EKUJustice:
sti hammer is pretty good. The Extreme Engineering is better
View Quote

I tried looking at the Extreme Engineering ones, I don't see any squared hammers. Am I missing something?

I also see Infinity makes a square hammer like the STI, but is $70 vs the $37 STI hammer
Top Top