Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/12/2006 10:55:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 10:15:17 PM EDT by pointtarget]
I have a Glock 19C, bought when new, did not notice it until it was to late, the slide that faces
my body when carried ended up with some small rust pits, tried to clean it up with CLP but it was
to late, the damage was already done. Want to by a replacement slide but want it with the same
SN as the frame and barrel, does a new slide come with a SN or nothing at all ? What is considered
the gun ? frame or slide ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:08:34 AM EDT
Contact Glock, they have great customer service. They might cover it under warranty.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:10:32 AM EDT
if you buy a new slide for it will most likely have a different Serial Number than your frame and you barrel.

if you have rust on your glock I would contact glock. as far as I have ever heard glock don't rust
due to the tenifer treatment to the slide and barrel

or you could just sell the gun you have and get a new one

good luck
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:58:32 AM EDT
Contact Glock and tell them what is going on. Providing nobody messed with the finish, they should cover you under warranty. If they decide to replace the slide, make sure you tell them you want the same serial number on the new one. It might take a little longer but they will do it. They are after all, the manufacturer of the gun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:58 AM EDT
Got pics?

I can't imagine there being enough pitting to even worry about. But you could send the slide back to glock for reconditioning. I wouldn't expect free work since it doesn't sound like glock's fault.

w00t!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:21:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:21:30 AM EDT by M4arc]
I need to tag this one for the outcome since I've never heard of a glock rusting or pitting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:40:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4arc:
I need to tag this one for the outcome since I've never heard of a glock rusting or pitting.

Chuck Norris can't even make a glock rust!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:32:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:
Got pics?

I can't imagine there being enough pitting to even worry about. But you could send the slide back to glock for reconditioning. I wouldn't expect free work since it doesn't sound like glock's fault.

w00t!

If the tenifer process was improperly performed, it would be 100% Glock's fault. If there is any pitting at all, it would be something to worry about because Glocks don't pit unless there is something wrong, and if the tenifer is compromised, Glock won't recondition the slide. The black finish that you see is not what protects from the elements, it just looks good. There is no sense in refinishing over the area only to have it rust again.

If something was done to the slide, like cerakote or something , and it started to rust, it wouldn't be glock's fault and they would surely charge for any replacement.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:51:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 10:06:06 PM EDT by pointtarget]
Sorry for the quality of the pics, but you can still see the rust pits. Sorry about the date, camera
set wrong.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:06:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:39:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pointtarget:
I have a Glock 19C, bought when new, did not notice it until it was to late, the slide that faces
my body when carried ended up with some small rust pits, tried to clean it up with CLP but it was
to late, the damage was already done.
Want to by a replacement slide but want it with the same
SN as the frame and barrel, does a new slide come with a SN or nothing at all ? What is considered
the gun ? frame or slide ?

What do you mean by damage? How was it damaged and was it a result of something you did? I wouldn't worry about buying a new slide because Glock should warranty this and if I was you I would be calling them first thing this morning: 770.432.1202 - x365

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:33:28 AM EDT
Your gut must have some really acidy sweat to do that kind of damage.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:14:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 5:14:50 AM EDT by M4arc]

Originally Posted By markm:
Your gut must have some really acidy sweat to do that kind of damage.

Maybe pointtarget really is Chuck Norris?!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:01:44 AM EDT
When you started carrying it, how often did you wipe it down and oil it ?

LB
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:09:53 AM EDT
WTF did you do to that thing? Your sights and slide are all rusted. Thank God you purchased from a manufacturer with good customer service or you would be SOL.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:16:18 AM EDT
Those pics make my eyes hurt.

Got Macro on that camera?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:16:18 AM EDT
What it really looks like is, whoever installed your sights put the slide in a vise without padding the jaws. What kind of sights are those? They look like garbage. Are they PT night sights?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:02:00 AM EDT
Very odd.
My GLOCK is 18 years old, has none of the black finish left on the slide and NEVER rusts. I carry it IWB all year and NEVER put any oil on the outside of the gun. I don't even wipe it off other than cleaning off powder residue after firing a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:13:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pointtarget:
Sorry for the quality of the pics, but you can still see the rust pits.

Where's that Ray Charles, "I can't see shit" pic when ya need it.

Ditto others comments, I too have carried Glocks for decades now and NEVER found any rust on any of them other than my 20 year old 17, which was imported with a non-treated blued steel serial number tag, that has shown rusty on occassion, (but that part was only placed on early imports, new ones are treated stainless steel tags).

Mike

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:28:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By H53EXPERT:
What it really looks like is, whoever installed your sights put the slide in a vise without padding the jaws. What kind of sights are those? They look like garbage. Are they PT night sights?

I tend to agree with your theory. Hell, even the Glock in The Complete Glock Reference Guide didn't look that bad and they drug it behind a car!

Either way, I'm interested to hear 1) how this happened and 2) what Glock says and does about it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:48:11 AM EDT
I agree with the above posters about the vise thing, you have to dig down to get past the tenifered metal, I've had glocks for yeeaarrs and the only time I've seen anything like that is when someone put it in a vise to put the back sights on
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 1:26:16 PM EDT by Glockin_It]

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

Where's that Ray Charles, "I can't see shit" pic when ya need it.

Here ya go!

Those pics totally suck. Lets get some good ones that arent huge either to look at so we can make a call as to what happened.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:31:14 PM EDT
Had to use the wifes cheap camera, mine took a dump, and yes that is with the macro setting.
Can't remember what brand are the night sights but I was there when they were installed, and
No vise was used. The only thing was ever used on it was Break Free CLP, being in Texas
You tend to sweat just a little with the humidity. On average it was wipe down every 2-3 weeks.
I never had a problem with any other metal next to my body, keys, belt buckle, or other handguns
Just this one, went to Jim Pruetts where I purchased it three years ago and they told me I have to
Call Glock and get a call tag then ship it UPS. I never have shipped a firearm before any info would
Help. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:08:36 PM EDT
Call Glock tomorrow @ 770.432.1202 and explain what is happening. Since it's your handgun you don't have to go through an FFL but you might have to ship it via FedEx. Glock should be able to tell you exactly how to box it up and ship it. I would go to Wally world and buy a cheap plastic handgun case and put that in a box with some peanuts. Tape it up real good and insure it as well. UPS often times has an issue with losing firearms.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:05:44 PM EDT
Honestly that looks like a Sig that went through a ultrasonic cleaner cocktail over on Sigforums.com. It pitted the slide similar to that. Hopefully GLOCk will fix it for ya.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:12:22 PM EDT
Ok, got ahold of a decent camera, deleted the first ones so not to waste bandwith.

On the first ones the color made it look like there was more rust (red color) with these you
Can see the pits more clearly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:48:20 PM EDT
I have no freaken clue, that wasn't caused by what I thought it was, I too believe it could be cause by a ultrasonic cleaner but I would think it would be on more than just that. Please keep us updated with what happens
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:50:31 AM EDT
Well I can see clearly now and have to say IMO appears your Glock slide missed the tenifer treatment Glock is famous for. I would definately contact Glock and perhaps you could make some extra bucks by bottling your sweat and selling to some corrosive cleaner company.....

Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:08:51 AM EDT

Those pictures really tell a different story!

Get on the horn with Glock.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:34:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 6:36:49 AM EDT by AZ-Dave]
This exact issue has come up on Glocktalk a few times when I started lurking there, the last time was a NY transit cop who asked the same question and the "regulars" jumped all over him with the "can't happen", "you're a troll", "prove it" crap----he then posted pics (that were similar to yours, same area/issue) and then they said crap like "that must be where you rest your hand, wash them after lunch" and "you HAD to have gotten chemicals on it". I pretty much gave up on that site, because of the blind loyalty crap.

How about the fact that Glock "may" turn out a "bad" one every once in a while. They probably crank out more pistols than most of the other companys combined, so i'm sure an occassional one misses all the "right" steps in the process and inspection. I'm sure surface prep in the finishing process can sometimes not be up to par, or something goes wrong with the finish itself.
From what I understand, Tennifer goes much deeper into the steel than anything else.
Over at GT, they were saying that the Tennifer finish was changed a few years ago because of the caustic chemicals involved in the original type, and the new one is not as impervious to everything. I have several newer Glocks and 2 older (late 90's)--deffinate differance in color and texture.

Just yesterday I picked up a 36 that had probably 2 mags fired thru it---so pretty much NIB,
and while cleaning and inspection last night, I notice the "plating" on the firing pin safety was peeling/flaking---the trigger bar had a bit of a sharp edge were it contacts the safety, but the plating shouldn't be doing this. I guess I always assumed this part was stainless, but obviously not. I broke down all the others and inspected them--no problem.
I'm sure this wouldn't impede function, but its not right.
I also know Glock will make it right.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:37:38 PM EDT
Holy shit!!!

I've never seen a Glock do that, even ones with much more abuse. Oh well, bad apples turn out once in a while. Send it back to Glock, or whatever they instruct you to do. It'll turn out fine I'm sure.
Top Top